Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Recording Guitars Direct- Line6? GuitarRig?

I have heard of people getting great results recording guitars direct w/out any mics or cabs at all. I have a mesa boogie f50 and a marshall l960...sounds great but I do a lot of projects off site and the less I carry the better. Has anyone had any real luck using direct recording? Amplitube? GuitarRig? Line6 pod? Is it possible to get close to a real tone with those products? If so, do you plug the guitar straight in or use some kind of pre? Thanks in advance.
bk
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Recording Guitars Direct- Line6? GuitarRig?

I did a 5 song EP with a vintage telecaster and Amplitube.. I think it sounds great and the guitarists were very pleased with it. I had to mess around wiht the settings for a bit to find the good setting.. but now that i've done it i'll know how to find it with any guitar. I've used Guitar Rig as well and I like it alot better then Amplitube.. theres ALOT more options... but when this band came to record for some reason Guitar rig wouldn't recognize the serial key and kept telling me i didn't register.. which is faulse info.. ha ha... But.. I'm sure you can find a good sound with All of them.. and PTLE comes with Amplitube.. so mess around with it and see whta you can come up with. before you go out and spend $600 on Guitar Rig... the only reason i have guitar rig is becasue my friend gave me his copy(original not burned)... ... But Amplitube is capable of getting a great sound.. or else they wouldnt' be able to sell it for the prince they ask..

jonny

P.S. ALso for your off site sessions yoru doing.. you can always record with a good sounding amplitube(even if its nto final) and then when you get back to the studio.. you can re-amp it through your reall amps and record it with a mic...
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 PM

The guitar on the Boss DR880 is really good - sharing many Boss GT8 sounds. Part of the Boss Cosm family. My listeners can't tell the diff between it and any Marshall, Vox, or boutique amp I use for recording. I've also used the VoxTonelab with great results.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 AM

guitar rig IS a very nice piece of gear actually. loads to play with. a tad hungryon the CPU tho, but i guess its no biggy if your just recording in. i would imagine you will need soem flavour ofDI box to use it properly. unless you have an active guitar. perhaps soone can confirm this, or not
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 AM

I use the Vox Tonelab Se and it is awesome. It has a 12ax7 tube in it too.

Mariner
Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM

I have used many different amps and mikes.
It is possible to get great tone out of almost anything.
Corect miking, correct EQing and most importantly choice of guitar pick and your touch.
Now that the obvous is out of the way,most guitar amp modelers sound great including Amplitube, Guitar Rig.

However, if y ou want great amp modeling for clean tones as well as some overdriven ones,
POD XT is the best and most versatile one of the bunch.
I would get the Bean + FBV Shortboard. POD XT live is good too but it does not have balanced outs.
Vox Tonelab would be my second choice. But why pay more for second best.

My 2C...
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 08-26-2005, 07:33 AM

Quote:
before you go out and spend $600 on Guitar Rig...
by the way, guitar rig is down to $299 (Sweetwater and such) as they dropped the retail price to $339 recently. I think it was up around $499 or higher before. Much more reasonable if you ask me.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM

I have a Line 6 POD (not xt) but I now use Guitar Rig and think it sounds much better.

However, I just don't think anything sounds like a real amp, through a nice mic/pre/convertor, but the Guitar Rig is a close second.

IMO.

Ross
Old 08-27-2005, 10:20 AM

I bought the MesaBoogie rack mount 'Recording' head and couldn't be more pleased. They run about $1000 though.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 AM

I use the line 6 pod pro 2.0 for some works [televsision, film, radio work], but if it's guitar oriented music, like my original rock tunes, it's gonna be my Marshall TSL or Mesa Dual Caliber... then again, if I am playing on someone else's tune somewhere else I haul my Line6 pod pro or Marshall JMP-1 around. Really depends on my involvment with the song, or any deadlines I have.