Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Dr. Rex & Redrum in edit window?

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time and can't get it right. How can I either get loops from Dr. Rex or a drum sequence from Redrum into the edit window so I can actually see the patterns?

I tried the "to track" button on Dr. Rex and I get a window saying that this will create a new data track. So I click OK and nothing happens. As for Redrum I can use it but only as a constant pattern, nothing I can turn on and off in the mix.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Marc

Specs
PT LE 6.4
MBox
Fujitsu Lifebook C2220 Series
Mobile Intel Pent. 4
2.4 GHz
512 MB (256 on board/256 EXT)
60 GB Internal HD
80 GB Ext. HD
RADEON IGP 340M
Win XP Home Edition SP2
Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Dr. Rex & Redrum in edit window?

you need left and right locator points enabled in the reason sequencer. to do this, make a selection on the timeline in PT.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
you need left and right locator points enabled in the reason sequencer. to do this, make a selection on the timeline in PT.
Where in the timeline do I make this selection? I'm terribly confused.

My friend has Garage Band of his Mac. He can cut and paste dozens of different drum loops. Is there anything in PT that would let me do this? Can Dr. Rex or Redrum in Reason let me do this?

Thanks
Marc
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM

The left right indicators are controled by the loop settings in ProTools when Reason and PT are both running together. These are little loop indicators at the top of the Reason sequencer window, similar to the loop indicators in the conductor track in PT. You will not usually see the left and right indicators because they are usually hidden underneath the P indicator unless you have a loop going in PT. I often run Reason in standalone mode when performing "copy pattern to track" operations in Reason to make setting these left/right indicators easier.

Until you get these left/right indicators positioned to the location you want the Redrum pattern to be copied to, the "Copy Pattern to Track" selection on the Edit menu will not be there. Once you position these indicators, selecting this menu option will copy whatever pattern is selected in Redrum to the location in the sequencer window you have specified starting at the "left" and repeating the pattern until the end of the measure indicated by the "right" marker.

Also, sometimes I have to toggle the "enable pattern" button before the edit menu will show the copy pattern to track in the menu.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 AM

ACID Pro 5 now rewires into protools, and is great for loops. They have a demo, you should try it out.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
My friend has Garage Band of his Mac. He can cut and paste dozens of different drum loops. Is there anything in PT that would let me do this?
Newbie perspective: Try Live. You got it for free with PTLE.

1. Create an AUX stereo track in PTLE.
2. Raise the volume on your new AUX track (assuming it defaults to infinity).
3. Click on one of the four Insert buttons on your new track. A menu will come up...somewhere on that menu is Ableton Live (stereo). When you select it, a little Rewire window will appear. This is good.
4. Open Live. If you haven't registered it, you must. Live will now operate as a slave to PTLE: it will have the same tempo.
5. Switch Live to Arranger view and drag in drum loops from the built in browser.
6. Live has built in effects; you may also add effects to your AUX track in PTLE.

WARNING: changing tempo midsong in Live was confusing to me...when it gets to the tempo change, it renumbers the entire song, so earlier measures are difficult to identify if the cursor is right of the change. Just something to be aware of.

You will, of course, have to do your loop editing in Live, not PTLE...but I think you will be pleased with the interface.

Hope this is useful.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 PM

To record what you have going through the Reason plugin in Pro Tools, you should

1. Create an Aux Input
2. Insert the instance of Reason on the Aux Input
3. Set the output of the Aux Input to an available bus
4. Create a new Audio Track
5. Set the input of this audio track to the same bus you chose in step 3
6. Record Enable the audio track in Pro Tools
7. Press Record and Play on the Transport

This will record whatever sequence or audio you have going through the Rewire plug-in. The others suggestions will be needed to map your sequence or arrangement out in Reason. Even if I am just using Reason as a loop generator, say a Rex File or Redrum Pattern, I go ahead and map the patternt to a sequencer track. This lets me easily change the Tempo in Pro Tools and also assure that the loop lines up correctly with my Grid in Pro Tools.

Hope that helps
Old 01-28-2005, 06:39 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna try these out and get back to you.

Marc
Old 01-30-2005, 06:37 PM

UPDATE: I used most of the methods mentioned above. I can now get the actual patterns into PT. Still having trouble though. Not nearly as easy as I'd like it to be. I would love to drag and drop a drum loop like you can in Garageband but I don't think it's possible in Dr. Rex or Redrum.

Any suggestions on how to do this simply?

Thanks
Marc
Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 PM

Ahem...

ACID Pro 5 now rewires into protools, and is great for loops. They have a demo, you should try it out.

Abelton Live is also another very good choice. Both feature 'drag and drop' capabilities. I think acid is easier to use, but that's just me.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12