Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 04-28-2021, 06:37 AM

Default MTRX Studio with Dante PCIe in a new Mac Pro

We are considering an interface upgrade.

We need 16 Analog and 16 Digital connections.

Is anyone using the MATRX Studio with a hardware Dante PCIe card only (no DigiLink)?

I saw a thread regarding using the MTRX with DVS only and it appears the latency can be an issue.

Would the HD Native Firewire box be a lower latency option?

We have brand new cheese grater Mac Pros so I would have to adapt from Firewire 2 to 3 is we go with the Native HD box.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante PCIe in a new Mac Pro

Greetings,

I believe you are referring to Thunderbolt 2 and 3. Yes - you can simply use an Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter to attach HD Native Thunderbolt to a qualified Mac workstation.

DigiLink and Dante (using something like a Focusrite PCIeR card) will give you good latency values. DigiLink can connect 64 channels at any sample rate. The IP Core chipset on the MTRX ST will also support 64 channels at any sample rate.

The Focusrite PCIeR card will work well for this application - however FF has announced that it will never work with new Apple silicon FYI. This may or may not be a concern for you.

DVS - Dante Virtual Soundcard is great for editorial - but not viable for many recording use cases due to latency starting at 4ms.

Using a FF based playback engine (Core Audio) would currently be limited to 32 channels of IO.

HDNTB with a low hardware buffer setting will give you very good latency values.

A new 7,1 machine could use HDX, HDN or HDNTB. HDX and HDN would alleviate the need for external adapters and connections.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-28-2021, 07:13 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yes I meant Thunderbolt 2 to 3.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:16 AM

Jeff,
The HD Native PCIe Card has been discontinued correct?

But if I find a used one would the latency be lower than the HDNTB?

Would it be lower than Dante?
Old 04-28-2021, 11:57 AM
Avid

You will see nearly identical performance and latency between HDN and HDNTB. I don't have a PCIeR card to test - so I will defer to the others - however I presume the latency is in the same ballpark as HDN and HDNTB.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-30-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepopp View Post
We are considering an interface upgrade.

We need 16 Analog and 16 Digital connections.

Is anyone using the MATRX Studio with a hardware Dante PCIe card only (no DigiLink)?

I saw a thread regarding using the MTRX with DVS only and it appears the latency can be an issue.

Would the HD Native Firewire box be a lower latency option?

We have brand new cheese grater Mac Pros so I would have to adapt from Firewire 2 to 3 is we go with the Native HD box.
Not with the MTRX Studio but I do use the full fat MTRX both with a HDX card for Pro Tools and with a Focusrite PCIE-R card for native.

I get very low latency natively working this way: 1.8ms on output and 3.7ms round trip at 48kHz.

Because with Dante you can send an output to multiple inputs I have set it up so the same sources go to the same channel numbers in each DAW.

The only downsides: you can't have any outboard show up as inserts in both Pro Tools and Logic without rerouting in Dadman or Dante Controller.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting