Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Default Sustain NOT recording in pro tools 9!!!

So, I hooked up ALL my midi gear today and EVERYTHING works fine during recording and editing BUT when I get to playback the sustained notes I hit during record do NOT playback! It's almost as if the sustain didn't record! I know it did because during recording and also play without recording the sustain is working COMPLETELY fine but like I said when it comes to playback NO sustain AT ALL!! Somebody please help me!! I have done my research and this is apparently been a problem over the past 5 years or so!! And please don't say check my "midimerge" as it is ALWAYS off! Please help me I am scoring for a film and I need this fixed!! Remember it is NOT my keyboard as I said the sustain works fine during recording.

Here are my Specs:
Early 2011 iMac 21.5 Inch
6 GB Ram
500 GB HardDrive
Pro Tools 9.0.3
Tascam US-1800
Yamaha YPT-320 Keyboard
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Sustain NOT recording in pro tools 9!!!

Check your MIDI Filter settings

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks but that did NOT do it Just to make sure, what should the settings in my midi filter settings be??? Could you help me out so I do this right?!?! I'm REALLY REALLY good with pro tools but this has apparently been happening the past FIVE years to ALLOT of people! Here is a screen shot of my current midi filter settings! Tell me what I need to change!!:) http://pt9tutorials.webs.com/apps/ph...toid=128580783
Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 AM

You can see if the sustain is being recorded. Why don't you check that first.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Yes I already checked that haha like I said it is PERFECT when recording and just calling up sounds in pro tools. But during playback ALL the sustain is gone. Is there something I've been missing?? I REALLY wish the "industry standard" would fix these problems and help me WITHOUT purchasing support...... Anyways like I said i've been checking EVER forum out there about this and i've tried everything they tell us to do and still NOTHING..... Like I said is there anything i've missed?? Ive checked literally EVERYTHING in pro tools midi settings, my keyboard and even my interface and I bought a new sustain pedal as well and still nothing
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM

What instrument are you directing the MIDI track to? Have you moved the region to a internal instrument to see what happens?

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Just my experience (from yesterday afternoon). For me, sustain is definitely recording in 9.03. I did have to go into the default filters to let through aftertouch. The default was to let through all except both aftertouches.

During play and record, i you're using your YPT-320 with the pedal plugged directly into it, of course it works because it's sustaining it directly unless you (strangely?) have all local controls off and are listening purely to the midi signal once it has passed through your interface and back out of PT. In which case, if it were working it would have been recorded.

(and looked at your tiny screenshot, you've not go the sustain filtered just aftertouch as default)

I think what Carl suggests is a good idea. Go run mini-grand and do a few bars of tests. Then unfold the automation lane until you see sustain and you should see it pretty plainly if it is there.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM

And i just had this happen in PT11. Really bad as now i have 10 takes of a piano part with no sustain info recorded. Very frustrating and a lot of work to make to performance be all it was ... Thanks Avid for the extra work. This is on a fresh install of PT11. Such BS to ruin a great performance ... Industry standard but not for midi. Whatever, this all just falls on deaf ears anyway.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro