Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Question for Software Developers about Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions

Having beta tested some MS software in the past I'm signed up for MS TechNet bulletins. A email they sent out several weeks ago made mention of TechNet software subscriptions being 28% off till the end of March. This works out to 251.00 for a year.

Since I have a whole bunch of computers running Win7 RC that are going to need updated and the fact that once PT is approved it would make sense to migrate my entire home network to Win7 I'm thinking about signing up.

My understanding is that 251.00 will get me pretty much unlimited access to all current MS products and serial keys during that time frame.

My question is.

Are the serial keys still good after the subscription period ends like a regular windows key? or does its activation period end when the subscription lapses?

Seems to me this would be a cheap way to update 3-4 computers to Win7 Ultimate. Possibly upgrade my Windows Home Server when that ships and solve the problem of having to scrounge up a valid copies of Windows for the stuff that I seem to end up testing.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Question for Software Developers about Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Having beta tested some MS software in the past I'm signed up for MS TechNet bulletins. A email they sent out several weeks ago made mention of TechNet software subscriptions being 28% off till the end of March. This works out to 251.00 for a year.

Since I have a whole bunch of computers running Win7 RC that are going to need updated and the fact that once PT is approved it would make sense to migrate my entire home network to Win7 I'm thinking about signing up.

My understanding is that 251.00 will get me pretty much unlimited access to all current MS products and serial keys during that time frame.

My question is.

Are the serial keys still good after the subscription period ends like a regular windows key? or does its activation period end when the subscription lapses?

Seems to me this would be a cheap way to update 3-4 computers to Win7 Ultimate. Possibly upgrade my Windows Home Server when that ships and solve the problem of having to scrounge up a valid copies of Windows for the stuff that I seem to end up testing.

Keep us posted on how this goes.. I deleted my email from them out of hand... Guess I'd better go digging and read some of them...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Question for Software Developers about Microsoft TechNet Subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Keep us posted on how this goes.. I deleted my email from them out of hand... Guess I'd better go digging and read some of them...
Well if you need more than 2 copies of the OS and you ended up "Owning" them than it would seem like a good deal.

Plus there all the fun of installing PT on Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Mobile, Windows CE. etc.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88