Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post

Hi Kerry, thanks for the feedback. An important distinction for Pro Tools HD software is the ability to work seamlessly with the HD and HDX hardware. There is a great deal more development, testing and qualification that goes into supporting the HD hardware and creating a super stable system with guaranteed on demand performance.

Non-HD users will never have the capabilities that HD user do, and not all of that is the result of the hardware alone. Much of it is due to the software's capabilities to control and integrate with said hardware - features (both visible and under the hood) that differentiate Pro Tools HD from Pro Tools itself.

Hi Max,

Specifically in terms of the PT10 HD upgrade, HD users are not even getting as many of the new features as non HD owners!! Yet expected to pay more than 3x the price?

This upgrade price for HD owners is forcing a large majority of users to hold off!! Most of them will even turn away now till next year? And then what??....

$999
$1499 for PT8 HD owners
$2499 for PT7 HD owners

I can guarantee you a lot of users will lock their systems at version 9 and Avid will lose them for a long time, possibly for ever. Only a small minority will be able to afford to upgrade to a new HDX system and version 11

Avid need to decide how important it is to keep current HD owners buying software and remaining in the stable.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi Max,

Specifically in terms of the PT10 HD upgrade, HD users are not even getting as many of the new features as non HD owners!! Yet expected to pay more than 3x the price?

This upgrade price for HD owners is forcing a large majority of users to hold off!! Most of them will even turn away now till next year? And then what??....

$999
$1499 for PT8 HD owners
$2499 for PT7 HD owners

I can guarantee you a lot of users will lock their systems at version 9 and Avid will lose them for a long time, possibly for ever. Only a small minority will be able to afford to upgrade to a new HDX system and version 11

Avid need to decide how important it is to keep current HD owners buying software and remaining in the stable.

Chris
This is exactly the boat I'm in, you have hit the nail on the head, all that cash for less features than normal pro tools 10 this just does not make sense!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
That's the case now, but only because Snow Leopard isn't the current OS any more. When Snow Leopard first came out if you didn't have Leopard already, you had to buy the OSX Box Set for $129.

So...what's your point? I'm sure you could buy an HD upgrade, but if you don't have the right software to upgrade from you won't be able to authorize it, and/or if you don't have compatible hardware you won't be able to run it. The fact that you can buy it "not matter what" is moot if you can't actually use it.

You're all right and I apologize. I deleted the post so it wouldn't cloud the water. One too many cocktails and the statement didn't have a leg to stand on. See how easy that was avid?

Last edited by crashboombam; 10-29-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: need to clarify
Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi Max,

$999
$1499 for PT8 HD owners
$2499 for PT7 HD owners

Chris

They bring forth a new DSP system in 2011 that is even MORE expensive than the old one.
Electronics got cheaper not more expensive.

I can buy 4 Westmere Macs for the price of an HDx|2 system.
That is ridiculous.

Mark my words. HDx will backfire massively. Massively.

AVID, you best start charging $100,000 per HDx system, cuz with the amount of units you are going to sell
you are going to NEED it ;-)

The HDx target range opting for an HDx today aint gonna care whether they pay $15k or $100k.
Those who know what $1000 worth of electronics will get you today aint ever going to purchase this system at this outer-space price...

I am not angry at all, writing this more like bewildered and smiling... This reminds of a simpleton who just awoke from a 30-year coma, thinking he can sell me his 1980 Volkswagen - Rabbit from 1990 for $60,000

Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Hi,

I can tell you another thing for sure! Very few HD owners can afford to switch to HDX, if they do it will be a gradual process over the next 5 years.

Therefore you better find a way to keep HD working with V11 and beyond, otherwise you will lose these customers for good!! No longer will they be buying software each year they will be spending their dosh on new more powerfull computers?

I don't believer it is that difficult to keep blue interfaces compatible yes we know the cards don't have the capability, but the interfaces could work perfectly fine with HDX cards at 32bit.

Keep you HD owners on board and have them spend and invest gradually over the coming years! But to expect everyone to drop thousands of dollars/pounds/euros etc on HDX almost immediately is suicide!! IT won't happen.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:06 PM

History tells to me that there will be HDX Accel System within a year. I will wait for that. Early adopters pay the biggest bills.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
They bring forth a new DSP system in 2011 that is even MORE expensive than the old one.
Electronics got cheaper not more expensive.
The new HDX systems are less expensive than the older HD systems.

Quote:
The HDx target range opting for an HDx today aint gonna care whether they pay $15k or $100k.
Those who know what $1000 worth of electronics will get you today aint ever going to purchase this system at this outer-space price...
I'm pretty sure that the difference between $15K and $100K will be fairly significant for just about everyone.

They've been selling HD systems starting in the $10K range for almost ten years now. Why is it hard to believe that they won't be able to sell systems that start out around the same price that are much more powerful, and that sound better? Most of the complaints here have been about upgrade pricing...it seems like these systems will be a relatively easy decision as a new purchase for this target range.

And you have to know that the electronics themselves are only a small part of what you're paying for...

Quote:
I don't believer it is that difficult to keep blue interfaces compatible yes we know the cards don't have the capability, but the interfaces could work perfectly fine with HDX cards at 32bit.
The blue interfaces DO work perfectly fine with HDX cards at 32-bit, don't they? The issue will be when Pro Tools transitions over to 64-bit.

Quote:
Keep you HD owners on board and have them spend and invest gradually over the coming years! But to expect everyone to drop thousands of dollars/pounds/euros etc on HDX almost immediately is suicide!!
Does everyone need to upgrade to HDX "almost immediately"? If I recall correctly the acceptance of HD systems in the market was somewhat gradual...and at least this time we have a better idea of what will be phased out and when.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM

All good points.

When they start to charge these kinds of prices it makes users want to know what they can expect in the future.

How do we know they won't go to $2,000 for PT 11 that doesn't have fast bounce or better VI support or whatever.

If the price was lower we wouldn't care. Now everyone doesn't trust them and it a tough place to be in. They wouldn't be here if not for their own misjudgement of the market.

I can't even assume they are financially stable. The prices (and layoffs) appear as desperate moves from a company in trouble.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The new HDX systems are less expensive than the older HD systems.
Well, they cost more. So I'd say that'll make them more expensive.
Even if they would cost the same, they would be more expensive.

But given your reply, I dont expect you to understand that, and I am too tired to explain it.

You think they could sell a TV today for the price it cost 12 years ago...

If Apple followed AVIDs ideology, the Westmere Macs should cost $30,000 !

And if you really think that the HDx is going to "sound better" - then I seriously, rest my case !
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:

The blue interfaces DO work perfectly fine with HDX cards at 32-bit, don't they? The issue will be when Pro Tools transitions over to 64-bit.

Hi,

The blue interfaces are being fazed out with PT11.

The blue interfaces work perfectly well with 64bit Apps at the moment!! Logic/ Cubase in 64bit work perfectly well with the blue interfaces.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Closed Thread