Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Sampling Theorem/Nyquist

Hi,
I know this is random, but I am taking online courses for my bachelors in music production. Since I am online, reaching my teachers on weekends isn't the easiest achievement, so I figured I would post on here to see if anyone would be able to help me with my question, since google and wiki hasn't been much help.

My question is regarding the sampling/Nyquist theorem. Our teacher had us take 2 files with the same bit depth (16b) and same sample rate (44.1kHz) (file 1 is 2.6MB/ 11 seconds and file 2 is 2.1 MB/ 14 seconds) and reduce both to 16 bit 22.05 kHz (file 1 reduced to 1.3 MB and file 2 is reduced to 1.1 MB) and we have to explain, based on what we have been taught about the sampling theorem, which file is less adversely affected.

Well from what I have been taught I know that the sample rate is twice the frequency and if there is a frequency above the Nyquist frequency, that is called the alias. So I'm not understanding what it is that I am looking for to explain why one was more affected than the other, besides the fact of my opinion of the sound quality. Is it based on the file size reduction or the file duration?

Any info on this or a point in the right direction would be VERY helpful!

-Nate