Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
Alright, alright....as the original poster on this, I did not expect the spanish inquisition ;-)
You're right of course, it is great value. I suppose I was just being miserable because I've spent $25,000+ on Digidesign hardware in the last 17 years or so.
I'm not the cheapskate some of those who replied suggest I am, and I do not use pirate software...all my plug-ins are paid for & on ilok

I think the only point I was trying to make was that AVID should have rewarded people who bought Digidesign hardware in the past (now that they are saying goodbye to the policy of making them buy it if they want to use PT). Just really because it's what built their success (people buying their hardware). BUT they are not, and yes the upgrade is good value for money...so no more whining!
THAT is the point I was making. It wasn't until Djembe and his like jumped in and started acting like elitist, condescending [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]s that I got defensive. Especially when I was constantly misquoted. (I never said the upgrade isn't worth $250)

In fact, after some conversation with Avid reps about all of the new features, as well as the knowledge that NONE of the people who recently purchased LE hardware are receiving the discounted upgrade price and why, I'm more than happy to drop the $250. PT9 is worth every penny and then some.

I will say, however, that Avid should be offering a free crossgrade to anyone who's purchased the DV toolkit. They're kind of getting screwed if they're not choosing to upgrade to the CPTK.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
No offense I'm glad your happy (no sarcasm/flame) at your crossgrade and I will be happy to use PT9 when I get it but I feel the reason's for the price difference have not been satisfactorily explained and if there is a water tight argument from Avid then fine, which there hasn't yet and to be honest it's more about feeling fobbed off right now
The only "water tight" argument that I can see that can be made is that the M-Powered crossgrade should be $349. If it was less nobody would buy the $599 software outright...people would go out and buy the M-Powered software and crossgrade for less.

I realize that that same thing can be done with the blowout pricing that's out there on the Mbox 2 stuff right now, but that will only be possible until they're gone. As I understand it M-Powered 8 is not being discontinued at this time.

Quote:
I get what you're saying, and if MP8 were less expensive than LE8, then it would make sense. But MP and LE users paid the same amount for version 8 of the software.
They paid the same price for an upgrade to version 8 of the software...not quite the same thing.

Quote:
A much better comparison would be PT M-Powered vs. the MBox Micro.

$250 for each of them, but one you still have to buy hardware to be able to use it. M-Powered is clearly more expensive.
That is not a better comparison. It's reasonable to assume that just about everyone who purchased a Micro has at least one other Pro Tools system...could be an LE or M-Powered system, or even HD...so chances are they bought the software at least twice.

There were times that M-Audio threw a Transit in with M-Powered software as well, and there were times when the software was included with certain M-Audio interfaces as well, so M-Powered was not clearly more expensive.

Quote:
And for the people complaining that we're whining, do you really have nothing better to do with your day than sit on DUC forums defending a company that just gave you features that have been industry standard for years while still maintaining an artificial track limit and charged you $250 for the privilege?
Considering the fact that they've essentially put almost everything people have been asking for (or demanding) for years, I don't think that it's out of line to be happy about it. Nothing wrong with a little disagreement.

Quote:
But I feel Avid could end up making more in the long run by pricing the MP crossgrade at $249.
That price doesn't make sense, though...otherwise they'd never sell the software outright. Or they'd have to drop the price.

Quote:
So with the music production toolkit 2 out out of commission and a majority now included in PT9, shouldn't there be something for us who previously purchased this? It would be nice if they would give a little bit of a reduced crossgrade price who practically already having the equivalent of what can upgraded to.
I wouldn't say that a majority of the Toolkit is included in Pro Tools 9...a few software features are, but the plugins are not and would still cost more than the Toolkit did, even if you only use two (and, in some cases, one) of them.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 AM

I did the crossgrade and I thought $250 was an absolute STEAL! To the people complaining about the price I gotta wonder: how much do you charge for YOUR services? How much of YOUR time does $250/$599 buy? People will pay $5 a day for a latte but complain about software that gives you the ability to MAKE MONEY. I guess it makes perfect sense considering the current state of things-- So many people expect a free handout. I guess since music is "free" they think the tools should be free too. Good stuff costs money people. Get over it and go make some music!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM

We consider ourselves soundly spanked. Seriously, though, you're right, I think. I'm secretly overjoyed about the reasonable upgrade prices over the years.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
I did the crossgrade and I thought $250 was an absolute STEAL! To the people complaining about the price I gotta wonder: how much do you charge for YOUR services? How much of YOUR time does $250/$599 buy? People will pay $5 a day for a latte but complain about software that gives you the ability to MAKE MONEY. I guess it makes perfect sense considering the current state of things-- So many people expect a free handout. I guess since music is "free" they think the tools should be free too. Good stuff costs money people. Get over it and go make some music!
In my opinion, a better way to look at the upgrade, especially in the current challenging economic times is "Will this upgrade enable me to make more money?".

As I've already paid for a satisfactorily running PT8 HD (via many paid updates), C|24, Digitranslator, mp3 option and have no need to mix in 7.1, work PT on a laptop or splash out on a discounted instrument expansion pack (having purchased most of them separately) I have to say that the answer is a resounding NO! $350 (or nearer $500 for us European customers) is an excessive amount to pay for a few extra keyboard commands and extra channels which most certainly don't need. The update from PT7 to PT8 was far more beneficial and way more value for HD users like myself - well worth the money. The current update and associated offers may be great value for PT LE users but are, for the reasons I've given, absolutely not so for HD users, most of whom have invested heavily in their current systems. In my opinion, the current PT9 HD upgrade is, indeed, not worth the money, will not make me any more money and so, unless the divA boys come to their senses and sweeten that upgrade offer, I'll not be investing further until PT10.

So, DontLetMeDrown, no one is asking for a free lunch here - just good old value for money.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe it was mentioned....

I was wondering why the avid store doesn't care about USD vs EURO and Pound conversions... it all the same to them 249€ = 249$ = 249£ etc
even though in reality there is a big difference. 249€ is in fact 352$ ! 249£ is in fact 404$, 249$ is in fact 175€ or 153£ gimme a break will ya !

Second why is a boxed version cheaper than the download?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
Haven't read the whole thread so maybe it was mentioned....

I was wondering why the avid store doesn't care about USD vs EURO and Pound conversions... it all the same to them 249€ = 249$ = 249£ etc
even though in reality there is a big difference. 249€ is in fact 352$ ! 249£ is in fact 404$, 249$ is in fact 175€ or 153£ gimme a break will ya !

Second why is a boxed version cheaper than the download?
As far as the boxed and Download version, you might be looking at the m-powered version in the drop down list. For me both download and boxed of LE is 249, and for m-powered is 349. Maybe it's different for you?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 PM

The price is fair. You can still use LE. As for hd if one can afford cards that price is pocket change. I got9 for 125 which is very fair and I would have been fine with the 250 if that deal never came up.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
As far as the boxed and Download version, you might be looking at the m-powered version in the drop down list. For me both download and boxed of LE is 249, and for m-powered is 349. Maybe it's different for you?
yes it is here, 221€ + 8€ shipping for the boxed....

@AxeDye I'm not taking about 249$ being too much or unfair (the thread is though), just mentioning that the currency conversions are not right.
On an international market level you just can't say that 1 dollar is equal to 1 euro or 1 pound etc, that simple ! So Avid get a grip and do your conversion reasonable and correct !