Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 12:46 AM

Default Digi 001+external word clock=amazing results?

over the holidays, i was at some Christmas party knocking back a few single malt scotches when i met some fella who was engineering a session at a studio here in LA. he said that they hooked up an Apogee device for the sole purpose of sending word clock to pro-tools and that when they A-B'd the results with audio created using only the 888's, the difference was significant. the clock from the apogee was so accurate that the recording was WAY better than the audio produced using only the Pro-tools internal clock.

my question to yins is:

Is this something I can apply in the digi 001 domain? If you set the internal synch to the SPIDF port synching to an external device, will it sound better when you record through the digi 001? Has anyone tried this ? does it work ? how does it work ? what Apogee box does this?

everyone is always blubbering on about 96k, 24-bit....but what is this word clock nonsense ? is this in the same category as A to D conversion ? does anyone know what i'm talking about ? was i drinking to much Lagavulin over the holidays ? please advise. thanks,
dave

with an audiomedia 3 card, I made all of this: www.fondamusic.com
Old 01-07-2002, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Digi 001+external word clock=amazing results?

the simple answer is .YES.

There are many affordable devices that have superior clocks. By using one of these external clocks w/001 you will benifit.

I notice a big difference when 001's are clocked to a lucid a/d converters. even tracks that were previously recorded sound like they have more depth. plus the converters themselves are far superior.
$600ish for a converter (2ch) and overall better quality seems reasonable to me.
plus the lucid box ( and many others) do go to 96k which my put off their inevideble obsolecence.

clocking and a/d conversion are both part of the equation for amazing results. I know guy with a roland vs 1880 who got a apogee rosseta, his stuff sounds really great now. before I could instantly tell he home demo'ed stuff, now it's right up there with more pro sounding stuff.

also, I think the 001 with a good external converter is still a great rig. I do wish they would get osx, altvec and duel proccesors ported. I might never happen. I think they had a goal for the 001 and have met it. I dont believe the hype about ptle osx being
currently under development. I doesn't take years to port a program.