Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2022, 02:09 PM

Default Keyboard without numpad area for PT?

Hey guys,

Is anyone of you permanently working with a smaller form factor keyboard?

Logitech had just announced the Logitech mx mechanical mini, which seems very tempting, only missing out the numpad area.

While gaming, I'm actually using a 60% keyboard from ducky and I really enjoy that size and would like to try to downsize even when using PT, what are your thoughts?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2022, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Keyboard without numpad area for PT?

You asking for Mac or PC?

I'm an ardent user of mechanical keyboards. Have many of them/different brands. Almost all on Mac.

My recent keyboards are Keychron. I'm mostly using a K8 (80% scale, no numeric keypad). The K8 has hot pluggable switches and I've got mine customized with genuine Cherry MX switches (save your money the brand they use are fine) under aftermarket Keychron keycaps (selected for being less slippery/better PBT construction). All Keychron models support wired or wireless and come with keycaps for both Mac and PC. For what you get they are very well priced. Q-series are higher end that the K-series. Available in lots of keyboard layout types with or without nav keys, numeric keypad etc. But if you want more compact keyboards, like most manufacturers those tend to be offered in the small layout/non keypad units. Still look though what they have to offer. The navigation keyless aka "1800" layouts like on the new Q5 might work well.

https://www.keychron.com

After owning many mechanical keyboards and having some failures I would never buy something that does not have hot pluggable switches. The Keychron have a high front elevation and work *very* well with a gel wrist rest... and I prefer that. Some folks do not like that front elevation/angle.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:52 AM

The number pad that is missing from compact keyboards gets a ton of use by most of us, but there are plenty of separate numeric keyboards if you have an open USB port

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-20-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

After owning many mechanical keyboards and having some failures I would never buy something that does not have hot pluggable switches. The Keychron have a high front elevation and work *very* well with a gel wrist rest... and I prefer that. Some folks do not like that front elevation/angle.
Reminiscent of the old Apple keyboard. Matias makes one that I've been using. https://matias.ca/products/

What are 'hot pluggable switches'?

QAPLA!