Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Noob question: Free vs. not free effects

I'm working my way down the curve with PT10 and haven't really had a chance to learn much about plug-ins and effects. I have some free effects, which is fun, but for me this prompts the question: What's the difference between a free equalizer (or an eq that comes bundled with PT) and an equalizer that would cost me several hundred dollars?

I guess another way to ask the question is, is it unreasonable to think I could collect a nice set of effects without spending any money? Or do I need to spend some cash?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Noob question: Free vs. not free effects

There is a huge number of GREAT free plugins out there. You could easily mix an entire project with all that's available too you now for free!
If it sounds good, it is good and don't think that your project will sound any less pro just because you didn't spend a boat load of cash of plugins. Best piece of advice I've heard is it's not the gear, it's the engineer!

Check out this list if free stuff thanks to the guys at Pro Tools expert.
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/free...ools-plug-ins/

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM

some EQs have special sound (Neve or PulTec emulations)
some EQs are surgical (McDSP NF575)

are they must haves, probably not
are they nice to have in the tool box if needed, yes

a good Reverb is probably were you'll get your biggest bang for buck for buy over free

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM

The plug-ins that come with Pro Tools 10 are seriously good. A decade ago this wasn't true so we needed to rely a great deal on third party plug-ins. In many cases, we still need them in order to exchange projects with people who still use plug-ins they've been using for a decade or more but it's often more a matter of familiarity than quality.

You should be able to do fine quality work with what you already have. I would master that first as a point of reference and only then demo plug-ins that look interesting. About the only "must" I can think of is a 24 bit dither plug-in to put on your mix buss such as Ozone or PSP Xenon.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks for your responses!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The plug-ins that come with Pro Tools 10 are seriously good.
I seriously agree with this and have been getting great use out of the PT stock plugins for several years now.

To the OP: It took some time and wasted money, in the newbie stage, for me to realize that the song arrangement, instrument selection, mic selection and placement, and solid tracking skills are the most important assets to music production. If they are there and you, for example, know how to use a compressor, then it does not take an expensive or 3rd party plugin to compress vocals ITB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpann View Post

I guess another way to ask the question is, is it unreasonable to think I could collect a nice set of effects without spending any money? Or do I need to spend some cash?
IMHO, newbies should worry about their front end, tracking, and arrangement skills. More often than not what happens ITB is overkill or the art of patching up stuff that didn't get done properly before the mix.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a good Reverb is probably were you'll get your biggest bang for buck for buy over free
Yes, Reverb plugins are by far the best money spent... if you are just starting to build up your plugin arsenal, this is what I'd get first. These days there are some excellent reverb plugins that are really affordable. Take a look at Liquidsonics Reverberate or Redline Reverb. Both sound great and are well worth the price.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM

I honestly think D-Verb is way way underestimated!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Space Cabin Audio

If you were to analyze an eq curve with something like Q-Clone, you would find out that all eq's are almost identical, but how they implement Q and Cut/Boost is a bit different.

I have been able to null, or almost null (down to -80db) almost every third party eq simply by changing the Q and Cut/Boost values.

The EQ3 is one of the best EQ's on the market, and IT'S FREE

Compressor plugs are a bit different, but the DYNIII is great and I have had many commercially released songs and feature length films mixed with it.

And for $99 the Pro Compressor is the best deal around. Simply put, the best compressor on the market, in my opinion

The tools that come free with PT are world class and there is no need to spend money on plug ins unless you actually know why you want to buy them.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
And for $99 the Pro Compressor is the best deal around. Simply put, the best compressor on the market, in my opinion
I wholeheartedly agree. This is one fine compressor, and it's a steal at $99.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com