Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM

Default SSL Duende 3.5.2 released

Hi,

Just a heads up for SSL Duende users! 3.5.2 has just been released. all working really well now!

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/sup...ownloadsV3.asp

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Re: SSL Duende 3.5.2 released

Hi Chris
What about the Wrapped RTAS --any latency with 3.5.2
Also what do you think of Duende now compared to Waves SSL
Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSB View Post
Hi Chris
What about the Wrapped RTAS --any latency with 3.5.2
Also what do you think of Duende now compared to Waves SSL
Hi,

Although at the moment you still require a Duende hardware unit! the plugins are actually running off the computer CPU and have done since version 3, so latency is the same as RTAS? as they no longer process from the Duende unit. zero delay on audio tracks except drumstrip and vocalstrip which have a very low latency of about 20-30ms.

The plugs are as expected from a World leading console company like SSL, most of the algorithms are from the C series consoles! channelstrip is different enough from the Waves SSL 400 series to warrant having both. But its the newer plugs that are really powerful X-comp/X-EQ and the X-verb instantly became my favorite all-round reverb.

SSL full Native (hardware free) will be here probably January!!

2 caveats! of using the wrapper... 1. in bypass delay comp doesn't work. 2. keyboard shortcut for accessing automation direct doesn't work. (this is the same for UAD until they release their RTAS versions shortly)

HOPING!!!!!! Avid and SSL, the 2 biggest companies in this industry will get together and SSL will get the RTAS SDK and we won't have to worry about the wrapper in the future! but at the moment it still works and the few small quirks are worth living with for the quality of these plugs.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:42 AM

There are absolutely NO quirks with the native plugins so far. It's one of the smoothest beta tests, though there's still more to look at.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 PM

On the other side of the fence we have somebody saying all DSP sounded more thicker/rich to me than ver 3.5
eg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230564920143
I tried the update ver 3.5 but didn't like the sound of their New Hybrid Core Processing Engine. It use your cpu along with the card. I went back to ver2.5 which is all DSP powered, and the all DSP sounded more thicker/rich to me

Having said that I went out and purchased the Duende Mini Plus pack at the current close out prices the dealers are selling these for--apparently you can get a free crossgrade to Native
here is quote on GS from Jim at SSL

If you are still running a V2/V3 Duende system and are happy with it, then why change? It will be possible (at the point of installation) to decide which of the Duende plug-ins you want to continue to run under V2/V3 and which you want to run Natively. Launching Duende Native does not mean that the plug-ins you own now will not run on the DSP you own now.

Anyone who has a registered Duende will receive a free cross-grade of every plug-in they own. You might want to use this on your main computer and then take the Duende hardware you own and install that on a second machine? Give it to a local music charity? Sell it? Put it on a spike and post it to us? Your call...We will hold the free cross-grade (one per registered unit) open for some time to come. We will not freeze our existing users out of the future of Duende or charge them to be part of it - unlike other manufacturers.

Anyone who has purchased one of the 64 or 128 channel upgrades for their Duende V3 system will get something from us. We have no intention of ripping you off - especially those people who only bought the 128-chanel upgrade in June in our summer special for an INCREDIBLY reduced price.

Pricing of the Native plug-ins will be comparable to the price that most users paid for the V2/V3 versions. The point of SSL plug-ins is their sound. This is where the value of all of our products lies.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSB View Post
On the other side of the fence we have somebody saying all DSP sounded more thicker/rich to me than ver 3.5
eg

Hilarious

If you are still running a V2/V3 Duende system and are happy with it, then why change? It will be possible (at the point of installation) to decide which of the Duende plug-ins you want to continue to run under V2/V3 and which you want to run Natively. Launching Duende Native does not mean that the plug-ins you own now will not run on the DSP you own now.

Don't think Jim is totally correct on this!! only V2 can run from the DSP cards! V3 onwards will run natively! thats how they were able to get the track expansions up to 128 channels

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 AM

Jim is indeed correct. V3.6 and onward will run natively - prior versions always have and will continue to require the hardware.

And the sound didn't change between V2 and 3.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM

I had a feeling that 2.5 had a more smooth hi-end. But as nobody thought the same, I guess I was wrong...

The code is slightly different no doubt about it and the hybrid core thing was a disaster idea from the beginning. The native plugins will use LESS host CPU power than the hybrid versions.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Jim is indeed correct. V3.6 and onward will run natively - prior versions always have and will continue to require the hardware.

And the sound didn't change between V2 and 3.
Hi,

no, i'm quite certain that from v3 onwards it was all running natively. and thats how they were able to up the channel count to 128. i was hoping to run some plugs off the card but its not possible without installing v2. and V2 never ran well on my system plus some of the plugs don't run under v2.

The card is still required to auth the plugins with v3.x but the processing is taking place on the CPU

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

no, i'm quite certain that from v3 onwards it was all running natively. and thats how they were able to up the channel count to 128. i was hoping to run some plugs off the card but its not possible without installing v2. and V2 never ran well on my system plus some of the plugs don't run under v2.

The card is still required to auth the plugins with v3.x but the processing is taking place on the CPU

Chris

Actually I think you are right, There was a thread on GS on this matter and looking at the reported latency figures in Pro Tools with V3 it was very clear that there was NO traffic back and forth the DSP card. I guess it was almost 0 samples latency and playing a "live" instrument through SSL plugin V3 was a totally latency free experience.

TC Electronic has a Hybrid plugin on the Powercore platform, Tubiflex which has huge latency, even more than pure DSP powered plugins.