Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-14-2001, 03:09 AM

Default I\'m getting tired of this Digi. Listen up.

Hi there.

I am truly getting fed up with my Pro Tools rig working some days, and not working others? Anybody else listening?

I've got clients in here who are starting to think I'm a dumbass because Pro Tools will crash upon loading a large session, or it will even crash during playback if I try to change a TC Megaverb setting!!

What the HELL is going on here??

Could I get somebody from Digidesign to come to my house and spoon feed me the information I need to get this working reliably on a day-to-day basis???

I don't have time to troubleshoot computer problems. I've got some serious music to make. If I wanted to troubleshoot computer problems, I'd go join the Gates club.

If the stupid software is running with gobs of plug ins, why is it so intelligent to not even load the session the next time you want to work on something?? Do I have to babysit the tracks in such a fashion that the plugins will load happily? Do I have to physically move tracks so plugs will load in the most optimum way? Why does Pro Tools crash so often everytime it has to deinstantiate/reinstantiate plugs?

Any answers, Digi? I spent the past 3 hours searching your web pages for some kind of clue, and I don't get it.

I did everything your page said about optimizing Pro Tools (cache, fonts, etc),
and it still doesn't work.

I've cranked out the RAM for DAE(70,000) and Pro Tools(70,000).

What's your excuse now?

I threw out the prefs, digisetup, etc,etc.

What's your excuse now?

I reinstalled Pro Tools, DAE, and Digisystem INIT.

Guess what? Still doesn't work!!

I no longer have time for this. Either help me with this system, or I may just quit recording altogether and take up underwater basket weaving.

Or worse yet, buy a Tascam 4 track cassette deck that I know will turn on and function every time I turn it on, regardless of lack of nonlinear functions!!

How come TC Megaverb crashes the whole computer when I tried to change a preset? Why does Waves enigma freeze up the computer occasionally?

How much RAM am I supposed to have? One gig? Is 192 the bare minimum these days? How much money do I have to spend to get this stuff to work ALL THE TIME??? Does anybody have an answer?

The only thing I haven't done is reseat the cards, but I highly doubt that that's the problem. Pro Tools works too great when it's working for that to be the problem.

I also haven't reinstalled the OS, but that's not it either, because I can play back a twenty track session with plugins galore while surfing the Net on the other screen with no hassles whatsoever.

All this on an ancient 9600/300.

Is 5.1 going to be more reliable than this?

Is there anyone with the following configuration who is having complete success with their setup? If so, I wish to speak with you.

9600/300 192 MB RAM 8.6

Slots: 1. Mix core
2. Mix farm
3. Mix farm
4. Empty(will be 3940UW)
5. MiroMotion DC30+
6. IXMICRO Dual monitor card.

I have tons of plugins - AutoTune, D2,D3, AmpFarm, TC Tools 3.0, Waves Gold bundle(everything but L2 and Renvox),
Bruno, Reso, DPP-1, DINR, etc, etc.

Do I have to unhook my Waves dongle now that it is no longer needed? Is this part of the problem?

I am really looking forward to a response to this one.

I was so mad earlier this evening, that I smashed my office chair on the cement floor. This is not a good thing. I hope the people at Staples can get a replacement base for it..

Imagine having a brand new Porsche 911 in your driveway everyday, and some days it will start, and others it won't. Imagine cruising down the Autobahn at 120 mph, and all of a sudden the car comes to an instant halt for no reason whatsoever.

Anybody know what this feels like?
Anybody know what to do about it?

Please help.

Craig Learmont
MuzikHaus

[email protected]
Old 02-14-2001, 04:41 AM

Default Re: I\'m getting tired of this Digi. Listen up.

Craig,

We've all been there...

The current Protools system is by and large the most stable ever. I don't use a 9600, but there are many on this board who swear by it. I'm sure they can offer you other insights.

But when things go really wrong, I do the following: strip the system down to the most basic elements. Yes, remove the cards. Set system extension set to most basic MacOS and just the extensions needed to run pt. Remove the monitor cards.

Start testing the system, then add other elements one at a time, testing as you go.

Again, Protools Mix+ and software is MUCH MORE stable than a traditional 24-track studio for us. In the past, synchronizing video, 24-track, 2-track, sequencers....keeping the damn machines running...keeping the large-format console going....plus the sequencing mac...rrrrrgggghhh....it was not pretty.

Conversely, I haven't had a session-halting crash in PT in a couple of years. Sure, I'll get a crash from time to time, but it is usually when I'm trying something crazy and the crash is an easily recoverable event.

So hang in there and get some help. Not to rub salt in your aweful situation, but maybe you should pony up for one of Digi's subscription service plans.

Good Luck!

Bryan
Old 02-14-2001, 06:44 AM

Craig-
Here's something that worked for me although with what you're going through you've probably already done it. When I first got my Mix+ it also was very unstable-particularly w/Waves stuff. I was cursing Digi up a blue streak and wondering why everyone was so jazzed about this "unstable" software. What I finally ended up doing was de-fragging the drive that PT and the plugs were on. And unbelievably, it worked! Haven't had a single problem since. I was shocked that such a simple procedure would work, but it did. Hope this helps-I also was a PT "hater" at one point but now that it's set up-man, there's no going back. It will rock. Have faith.
Dar
Old 02-14-2001, 08:21 AM
Avid

Hi Craig. I agree with you, your problem is software related. We will need alot of specific technical system information from you in order to debug your problem. The program does not inherently behave this way, so it becomes a matter of employing some good detective work to isolate the issue. The fastest and most efficeint way to do this is for you to call in to us while at your computer.

You certainly did the right thing by searching the online databases on our website
for a solution. Unfortunatly, as you found out, your situation is not so generic. So, if you would, please call us at 650 842 6699. Get in the Mac Pro tools TDM queue. Your call should be answered within 5 minutes, probably less. We can solve it. Thanks for your patience.

Tom S.
Digidesign Customer Service
Old 02-14-2001, 09:07 AM

Craig

An observation about your DC30+... It needs to be in slot 4 (buss master)... the 3940UW works well in slot 5 of the 9600.

In regard to your problem... adding more RAM to your system may indeed help to give the OS more breating room for large sessions (PT & DAE appear to have plenty). I have 384 in my 9600 and don't have any of the problems you have -- but I'm sure my system isn't exactly the same as yours - but it is similar.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer

[This message has been edited by Rail Jon Rogut (edited February 14, 2001).]
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-14-2001, 09:13 AM

I have no idea when you bought your system, but I had the same problem when i got mine less than a year ago. Turned out the cards were bad. The chips for a brief time were made by intel and they were busted.. I got replacement cards and all is 100% perfect,,,

Check the chips on the cards.. If you see "intel" on them, call digi about it...

also, before I knew it was the cards I spent all my time trying software related fixes... minimum extentions, current drivers for gport, usb, etc... so all that was as streamlined and current as could be. So now with the new cards, ny system hasnt crashed once in 9 months.. for real!... G4 500, mix plus, atto dual card..
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ψ Cancellation!•
Old 02-14-2001, 09:49 AM

Before I bought my Pro Tools Mix+, I read this message board for a few months. Some posts that are made here are pretty negative and would scare any would be PT user to reconsider. Luckily, I went with my gut feeling and bought the system. I just want to say that Pro Tools works like a dream. I'm not a technical guru by no means. I just followed the Pro Tools guidelines, and never strayed from their recommendations. I've had NO problems whatsoever that were related to the software or hardware.

For those of you reading who have not yet bought PT and are considering it, I just want to say, it's the best investment you'll make. Most of these "problems" that occur are USER ERROR, and have nothing to do with Pro Tools. I had a midi problem recently, but it was the damn G-port, not Pro Tools. So, take everything you read with a grain of salt. There's more people getting things done with Pro Tools then there are people complaining about it.

Now, I'm going to go back to my studio and work on my VERY stable Pro Tools system, and make some great music. Good luck to you all.

Old 02-14-2001, 11:00 AM

computers dont think, they do.
anyone that becomes so personally "worked up" with his machine usually has forgotten that. If loaded up with a bunch of unstable software ,your system in turn, is really giving it commands that are causing 99% of the problems. Like most things of a technical nature , there is very little error for mistake. User error accounts for most problems i have seen. work up, and slowly, take a breath and maybe even hire a tech to de-bug you sys. Use only approved guidlines. That way you can at least narrow the possbilities. Overall PT/digital is the most advancing musical device of the century, give it a sec, and youll be fine. Its well worth the trouble! good luck
Old 02-14-2001, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the endorsement, Treble Hum, but lets make sure we don't paint Craig with the same brush. His problems are real and his frustration is understandable. I know Craig from various user groups and I know that he's been at this a long time and has quite a bit of troubleshooting knowledge with Pro Tools. It doesn't matter so much in this case if it is user error, software conflicts, or hardware failure. He just has a problem and needs some solutions. As Tom said, the best way to resolve this would be direct one-to-one interaction by phone.

A couple of things that I noticed from Craig's post:
70/70 memory allocation to PT/DAE only leaves 52 MB for the Mac OS and any overhead it needs. I would check to see how much memory is actually free in one of these sections. Might not be enough breathing room, which could be helped with additional RAM.
If you don't currently have a SCSI card installed, what hard drive(s) are you using for audio? And are you also using the same hard drive for video in the session as well?
The problem or problems could be any number of things, and I'm sure we can figure it out working with someone directly in Tech Support. And if it turns out to be some previously undocumented problem, it will be added to to our bug database. If there is a previously undocumented solution, that information will be added to the Web Answerbase.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign Customer Service
Old 02-14-2001, 11:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adamflys:
[B]computers dont think.....

that is the essense of our new pro tools user group. take a deep breath, grab your chair and heave it through the window. That's right. I want you to get up. Grab your chair and throw it out the window. Excellent. Now, face that cpu. Visualize it as your personal demon. Hold that thought. Go and get your chair. throw the chair at the cpu.....

Craig, I can identify with your anger. I hope you get your system up and running. I have a 9600 and it's pretty flawless. Hopefully your problem is a bad card or something easy. I do agree there are many more stable users than this board implies. (as it's a troubleshooting board)

anyway, good luck. (seriously)

and for those of you who need my new approach to tech support call 1 800 PRO-ANGER. first ten minutes are free but you have to listen to "It's a small world" during those free minutes.. Cost is 850.00 per call. (about the price of a really nice chair)

cheers
scott