Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-29-2001, 02:15 AM

Default post production

could someone that does post production in pro tools explain to me some of the steps involved(ie. what media form the client comes to you with, what gear is needed, how much is generally charged) i'm a youngin and was really curious about it as i know virtually nothing about the process. any information that can possibly be givin is much appreciatted.

thanks, Blake
Old 05-01-2001, 07:40 AM

Default Re: post production

Good questions. LA PP studios charge from $500-600hr, Chicago around $650, NYC even more. It's all up to your clients' budget.
Media is what YOU specify. I take OMFs from video post houses on 2gig Jaz carts. Video comes in on Digibeta or D2 (rarely). I layback to MASTERS, so I charge for the responsibility. I also mix in surround (if requested), so I have to deliver an 8trk with a ref stereo mix (DA-78). Every job is different, you have to be able to do it all. The phrase "I can't do that" is not in your vocabulary if you want to stay busy.
As far as gear goes, you need as much as you can afford, and usually MORE. Plan on $150,000 for gear, and 3x that for the room. But your location (geographically) will dictate what you can get away with. There are only the rules you make for yourself...
Old 05-01-2001, 08:39 AM

There are sort of two camps (though they crossover).
One is the post with out mix, you do all the editing and prep and go some where else to do the mix. This is more comon in film where your mix stage needs 35mm playback and has to be big but the editing can take place almost any where.
The second camp is the do it all folks. If your mostly doing small format (TV, video and comercials) then you can mix in a much smaller room and it becomes posable to "do it all".
In the first camp you need to be able to output your work in away that is usable by the Mix facility and do the prep that they will expect like Cue sheets. You will Spec. the video they send you but you should have some numbers of places that can convert what they actual send you to what they were suposed to send you. Digitizing your video can be a life saver since a lot of the folks you will deal with don't know alot about what they are doing (generating video for you always seems do get delagated to the lowest intern) and I have given up trying to get usefull TC on tapes sent by ad agencys.
The second camp is more expensive but its all inhouse so you shouldn't have format issues (atleast out going).
Both camps need a good portable recording rig, acsess to a sound library (till you build up your own), acsess to a Foley stage and preferably a Foley artist and a good resolved PT system (the resolving isnt so critical in spots since they only run a minute or less but for longer format work it's essential.
You should be prepared to get sound delivered to you on 1/4" NAGRA,DAT, TC DAT, and sometimes (low budjet features and radio) Minidisc. If your not doing the dialog you probably won't have to transfer from NAGRA or TC DAT.
Sound Fun??
C'mon in the waters fine.
SK
Old 05-01-2001, 01:45 PM

thanks guys, that was exactly what i was looking for. it's so much more than i ever expected