Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Re: My Dream Console

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Buying a digital board to work with Digi001 is a weird choice. Originally posted by Danyl. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Not neccesarily so, besides the fact that I bought my board before buying the 001, there's a lot more I can do by choice or neccesity outside the Protools domain. That is were my digital mixer comes in handy. There also is a great deal of processing that I can on my board prior to sending the signal to Protools either because I want to save my processing power for something else or because the results from my board may be more favourable for that particular instrument or voice in Protools.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:55 PM

I'm a big Yamaha digital console fan... after all, I DO own two AW4416's, which give me pretty much the functionality of two 02R's - with better converters, plus 32 tracks of 24 bit / 44.1 / 48 KHz recording - but they do have shorter faders. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've been watching the new consoles pretty closely. The new 01V96 is much closer to the 02R96 than it is to the original 01V (they probably should have named it something else), but lacks the surround mixing capabilities. If I ever get into doing surround, I'd probably opt for the DM1000 or 02R96 - the DM2000 is way more than I'd personally need, and you can get nearly the same capabilities with the 02R96 for less than half the price - or less than a quarter of the price with the DM1000. I guess it really depends on how many channels you need. I think you get 96 max with the DM2000, 56 with to 02R96 and 48 with the DM1000. Again, the 01V96 doesn't have the surround mixing capabilities, but for a lot of people, 40 channels for $2,500 list is going to be a pretty darn smokin' deal. But if I'm going to upgrade from the dual AW's, the DM1000 is probably my minimum starting point... but that means buying three more ADAM monitors plus the ADAM sub for doing surround, plus some more outboard gear, plus some new mics, plus some... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There are several nice things about having an external board. Besides the level adjustments going in and out of PT, there's ways to use it for lowering latency, utilizing outboard gear more efficiently, submixing things, etc. etc. And the Yamaha's have Pro Tools control surface capabilities, which could prove useful for a lot of 001 owners.

While I think the DM2000 is the best semi-affordable digital console out there right now, my REAL dream board (forgetting about surround for the moment) is a Neve 8068. Anyone got a few hundred thou they can contribute to a worthy cause? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:38 AM

Following a deatiled review of the capabilities of the DM2000 as opposed to the DM1000 or 02R, there are very significant QUALITY differences that set the DM2000 apart from the rest. I'm not big on spending big bucks for the sake of it, but getting the best bang for the buck. The converters, effects, and overall dynamics of the DM2000 far supercede the those of the DM1000 or 02R. I think its a definite winnings combination with the HD3.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:12 AM

the way i look at it, the only advantage in having a digital board with your digital computer based recording system is the physical faders and the ability to elimiate latency.

there is little sonic benefit and definitely no investment value in a cheap digital board for music production.

the musical superiority of an analogue board (hell, even some cheap piece of crap like a mackie 8 bus with the eq switched out, of course) is undeniable.

electrical summation of audio still works better than doing it by math.

ignore the figures and use your ears for a minute, then you'll understand.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:38 AM

Phil, the O1V96 DOES have have surround mix capibilties. It can do up to 6.1 mixes & IS modeled after the DM2000 (as is the O2R96). MSRP for the O2R96 is $9,999 (base, no options) & the DM2000 is $18,300 (also base, no options).
Old 01-27-2003, 09:59 AM

By Princeton
Quote:
Following a detailed review of the capabilities of the DM2000 as opposed to the DM1000 or 02R, there are very significant QUALITY differences that set the DM2000 apart from the rest. I'm not big on spending big bucks for the sake of it, but getting the best bang for the buck. The converters, effects, and overall dynamics of the DM2000 far supercede the those of the DM1000 or 02R. I think its a definite winnings combination with the HD3.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. The only thing that troubles me about your comment quoted above Princeton, is that you are not clear on how the review was done on your end. Did you read about them, or did you do a real world test. Because when you talk about the quality of one far exceding (superceding means to be chronologically before, not to surpass) the other, the only way to know for sure is to hear it and not read about it. Just because somebody in a magazine gives something a glowing review, doesn't mean a thing. For all you know, there might be a minimal difference in quality between the 02R96 and the DM2000 to your ears, which then might mean the 02R96 might be a better value to you. You say you are not big on spending bucks just for the sake of it. I would hope that you would mean this literally, and actually test the items in person, with your own ears, and not just go on printed reviews, which are ultimately just someone else's opinions. Better specs on paper doesn't always mean better sound.

All that being said, a digital board offers a lot of advantages, flexibilty, routing, etc., specially if you do post production and/or 5.1 surround. The DM2000 looks great. I have tracked with a Sony DMX R-100 and the 02R96, and I would say I was partial to the Sony in all aspects. I havent't tried the DM2000, so I wouldn't know. But before you spend your cash, look into the Sony. It's very nice. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2003, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Princeton:
Following a deatiled review of the capabilities of the DM2000 as opposed to the DM1000 or 02R, there are very significant QUALITY differences that set the DM2000 apart from the rest. I'm not big on spending big bucks for the sake of it, but getting the best bang for the buck. The converters, effects, and overall dynamics of the DM2000 far supercede the those of the DM1000 or 02R. I think its a definite winnings combination with the HD3.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i'll happily bet that the converters aren't half as good as the 96 I/O or the 192 I/O so why not just get a procontrol or two?

and while you're at it, a G4 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

the only digital console that vaguely interests me is the sony oxford but i still wouldn't consider it as a serious production alternative to a large format anlogue board. unless i started working with mixes that consist of more than two channels.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Hey minimoog, I wonder if you mean the Sony DMX-R100, which is sometimes referred to as the Mini Oxford. The Oxford is a world class desk. Just ask some of the big studios all over the world, your Hit Factory, etc. You often see it alongside Neve's and SSL's and such. So even if you don't think it's a worthy tool, you have to admit that it enjoys as good a reputation as any of the best analogue consoles. Ask around and you'll see.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:46 AM

i don't have to ask, i've used a few. and no, you don't see it alongside neve's and ssl's in my experience. it may well hang out in the same facility, much as a euphonix cs3000 might but they always end up in the 'MIDI Suite' while the 9000K and 88R take care of the serious projects.

they sound ok for sure but my preference is still analogue.

how many albums were mixed on digital boards last year do you think?

------------------------------
give me tape or give me death.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Hello. Very well. I just wasn't sure from your initial comment. You do know it is a serious tool. You just don't like it. That's OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me.