Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 02:56 AM

Default creating a new pro tools session opens 4 empty folders on my desktop

everytime i open a new pro tools session 4 folders are created on my desktop.
I am very much a beginner and have not found a fix for this as yet.

can someone help?

tia

Soundstudent
Old 03-16-2023, 03:27 AM

Default Re: creating a new pro tools session opens 4 empty folders on my desktop

It's most likely that you have a default path in preferences which has somehow changed to your Desktop.

Have a look in Preferences -> Operation (tab) -> User Media and Settings Location.

Also check the "Open Session" or "Create New" dialog box - at the bottom there is a default location for files - again, this may be set to your Desktop.

Dominic
Old 03-16-2023, 08:01 AM

Default Re: creating a new pro tools session opens 4 empty folders on my desktop

In addition to Dominic's post; When you open a session, various support folders (session backups, video, audio, bounce) will be created *within* the folder that the session file is located on. If that session file is sitting on your desktop (without a surrounding session folder) then those folders will also reside there. When you create a *new* session, Pro Tools will create a folder for it and all those aux folders will reside in that session folder.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-16-2023, 08:06 AM

Hi Dominic and Rich

thank you both for your replies

I have checked all these folder locations as you suggested but none are set up for desktop unfortunately.

Rich, these are the exact folders that are being created on my desktop, but again pro tools is never instructed to save any new session to my desktop (unless I decide to save there (prompt for location)

my lecturer is also puzzled with this and he is the Avid expert at college

'scratches head'
Old 03-17-2023, 04:34 PM

Is this only on creating a new session or only on opening an existing session or both? Where are these sessions located? System drive or external drive? Post a screenshot of your Disk Allocation window, A Workspace:Volumes window (Option-I), and perhaps a screenshot of your New Session dialog box when you create a new session. Also some system information would be useful: Computer, OS, PT version, Peripherals, etc.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-17-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstudent View Post
everytime i open a new pro tools session 4 folders are created on my desktop.
What are these folders called?
Old 03-18-2023, 03:26 AM

Hi Ben and Rich

folders are - clip groups, audio files, video files, bounces files.

It seems to only be happening with a new session on the system drive, no external drive yet. also when i close the session the folders disappear.

ive updated my profile to show my system specifics, let me know if there is something ive missed.

ive attached screenshots as suggested. re Disk allocation - im thinking i uncheck, create subfolders and change my folder location? - just tried this but still im getting folders on my desktop ..... the new folder location has stayed the same but creating subfolders is checked again...

oh dear.

any other ideas guys?

thanks so much for taking the time to help me out !
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 10.15.16.png (25.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 10.21.36.jpg (29.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 03:31 AM

more screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 10.29.45.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 10.29.55.jpg (30.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2023, 06:38 AM

The four folders you are seeing are the standard folders that is automatically created inside every session folder along with the session file itself. (Actually, there should be a fifth folder, Session File Backups). A PT session file is always inside an enclosing folder like this. So it sounds like PT is somehow treating your desktop as the session folder. I never saw that before, and I don't know why it would happen. I've tried to replicate without success.

It should work, though - I bet there is a .ptx session file on the desktop along with the folders, and when it is opened, it will look for audio in the Audio Files folder etc.

When I create a new session from the PT Dashboard, PT creates a folder with the name of the session, and places the five folders inside it, along with the .ptx session file itself. That's how it works. And when you close the session, if the folders are empty they might disappear as the are not needed yet.

Try to make sure when you create a new session, that you see exactly where it's being created. For example; create a folder on your desktop called 'sessions', and save the new session inside that. You should get a normal session folder with the session file (.ptx) and its associated folders inside it.

That's all I have.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:45 AM

Yes the first thing definitely wrong is on your "Dashboard" towards bottom in the "Location " box It should not be saying "Applications/stufit/LogicPro./
and my guess is that is why it is throwing the subfolders to your desk top because it cannot store them in Applications

Have no clue how that location got there but that is definitely not a valid storage location for Pro Tools. And BTW any supposed "Avid expert " should know that is all wrong instantly by looking at your Dashboard .

In fact the default location when you first install and launch Pro Tools should be Mac "Documents "

Ok to back up and start over :: First trash your Pro Tools Preferences

#1 Close Pro Tools and launch Finder.
# 2 Click Go and select Go to Folder…
#3 Enter ~/Library/Preferences/Avid and click Go.
#4 Delete the Pro Tools folder.
# 5 Restart your computer and launch Pro Tools.

PT Dashboard should launch with Documents as the default "Location" path and you can use that BUT I prefer not to have my PT sessions in with any other Documents ...
SO
I suggest create a folder on your desk top and label it something like (your name) PT Sessions
And you want those sub folders may be very handy in the future and they should be automatically placed inside the main session folder

Then on your PT Dashboard click Location (grey circle) and then click Location rectangle you be able to at least see Mackintosh HD if not the Desktop and should be able to then select click on Mac ntosh HD , and see "Desktop" in the left widow -select it and then select your new PT Session folder that you created and select it and then the l
"Location" path should change to that path ...

Now just remember to check and see that your created Desktop PT session folder is the Location (sometimes it try's to go back to the default Documents location but you can click the Location rectangle box and change to your desktop folder

If for some reason you can change the location after Trashing Preferences then I would uninstall Pro Tools and then re-install it. ........good luck

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-18-2023 at 10:08 AM.