Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2023, 05:49 PM

Default Pro tools Version 2021.10.0 shuts down after trying to open a protools file

About 90 percent of the time when I click on a pro tools file to open it pro tools waits with no error messages. while pro tools is waiting for the file to open pro tools just shuts down and closes. How do I fix this? I'm running windows 10 with an i9 processor.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Pro tools Version 2021.10.0 shuts down after trying to open a protools file

You are clicking on what exactly? A Pro Tools session .ptx file?

What happens if you open that session? file from within Pro Tools?

Do other sessions have this problem? What is special about this one? Where did it come from?

If it's a potentially corrupt session and you can get it to open at all you can try a save copy in to make another copy. Or find a recent working backup. Or try importing data and content from the session into a new session.

Where is all the expected info about your setup? Including a Sandra report? And of the drives in that report which one is the session/file you are opening on? Your profile info is way out of date. See under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

And standard troubleshooting is going to have you trashing prefs before doing anything else. A good idea to just always try that first.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Pro tools Version 2021.10.0 shuts down after trying to open a protools file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are clicking on what exactly? A Pro Tools session .ptx file?

What happens if you open that session? file from within Pro Tools?

Do other sessions have this problem? What is special about this one? Where did it come from?

If it's a potentially corrupt session and you can get it to open at all you can try a save copy in to make another copy. Or find a recent working backup. Or try importing data and content from the session into a new session.

Where is all the expected info about your setup? Including a Sandra report? And of the drives in that report which one is the session/file you are opening on? Your profile info is way out of date. See under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

And standard troubleshooting is going to have you trashing prefs before doing anything else. A good idea to just always try that first.
I am clicking on a .ptx file and template files too within pro tools. I have this problem when starting a new file from a template file or when opening a previous file all from within pro tools. I really never open a file outside of pro tools. Sometimes the files will open if I do a restart of my computer system, but restarting works sometimes kinda like hit and miss. My session files are on a secondary drive. Pro tools is on my primary drive.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:16 AM

Aaaannnnnnnd still zero system info…….
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050