Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-17-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Recording from an insert channel

What is the best way to record individual mic channels from a crest studio XR-20 soundboard to my digioo1? The xr-20 has direct outputs, which would be perfect, if it were pre fader. I record live music and the house mix and eq settings make post mixing very difficult. I need a pre-fader mic signal which is found in the mic insert channels. Unfortunately this board will not allow me to use the first click in method, found on the Mackie and some Yamaha board. First click on the crest board cuts out the signal.

I want to avoid using insert adapters and y-adapter to split and return signal. This seems very messy.

Can I modify a balance TSR connector to send and return signal to the board and get a signal to the digi001 at the same time?

Here are the pin configs.
Crest audio XR-20 insert pin config. tip=send, Ring=return, sleeve=ground
DIGI 001 ¼” input tip=(+)hot, ring=(-)cold, sleeve= ground??

This is a diagram for a modified balanced 1/4" TSR cable. This should allow no interruption of signal to the mixer and an unbalanced signal to the digi001. One cut wire and 2 solder connection. Connectors are fully inserted.

Insert side (XR-20)...........................Digi unbalanced input side

tip(send)______________________________tip(hot+)
ring(return)_______| cut wire _____________ring(cold-)
sleeve(ground)_____________|___________ sleeve ??

Is this the correct modification? Will it work?
Any ideas for suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks, Matt
Old 07-17-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Recording from an insert channel

Have you contacted crest about the direct outs ? There may be an internal jumper or link that needs soldering to setup the direct outs pre-fader. I know Allen and Heath do this on pretty much all their live boards.

What you could do also which would give you more flexibility (and not lose your inserts) would be to use a patchbay. since there are only 12 mic inputs you could, with a 24-point patchbay wire the inserts sends normalled to the insert returns on the first 12, then wire your digi ins and outs on the next 8 points. Then you can patch your 8 insert sends to your digi inputs and the normalling will, route the insert send back to the return for the board. If you have some outboard too you could get it all on the patchbay and have quite a flexible system.

Alternatively if you wire the send back in parallel back to the return in a cable like your diagram that should work fine too.

Cheers,
Marcus