Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-19-2021, 01:39 AM

Default Repeated Clip List No-Selection Problem

Hey all,

Thought I'd just post here as I have a repeated and repeatable problem, and I now have a workaround....

I've been migrating some sessions from my older machine which was running 2020.12 on 10.13.6 to my new machine which is running 2021.7 on 11.5.1

Any new audio files created on the new setup in a session created on the old machine refuse to highlight in the clips list. This applies whether or not they are created by simply recording into the timeline, or by bouncing and auto-importing.

Older audio files which were created on the old machine do highlight as expected.

Trashing preferences and restarting don't have an effect, so there's something weird going on with opening these older sessions on the new machine.

I appreciate this might not be an issue for many.... But for me relying heavily on Batch Rename for sample creation it's been a bit of a PITA..!

Solution was to create new sessions and import session data, then all behaves perfectly.

Hope that saves someone a bit of time down the line
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-20-2021, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Repeated Clip List No-Selection Problem

Hmmmm....

It seems that this workaround doesn't fix the problem... Although it did work initially.

100% repeatable issue.... New session created, import session data (markers, tempo map and audio). Works fine initially, then stops working shortly after.

To reiterate the problem, clips which are selected in the timeline are not highlighting in the clips list (usually the clips which are selected in the timeline become highlighted in the clips list allowing for easy batch renaming..... Which is a massive part of my workflow at the moment)

I'm aware that I'm on an unsupported OS (11.5.1)..... I didn't have an option though as this was a new machine to replace my previous one which died...

Anyone else seeing this behaviour at all?
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-20-2021, 03:33 AM

Ok....

Further digging, and it looks like toggling the "Select Clips> Select Unused Ignores Parent Clip" option in the dropdown menu in the clips list fixes this...

I still think this is a bug though... It's definitely not behaving as it has done for the last several years... And it's also intermittent.
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-20-2021, 04:23 AM

Actually.... It's just random....

Seems as though the Clips List clip selection is just not 100% working properly.

I'm also seeing failure in the Batch Renaming part of this:

6 consecutive clips selected, renamed to number sequentially... Sometimes not all the clips rename for no obvious reason (and no error message)
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-20-2021, 05:32 AM

Ok...

Finally might have found the root cause of this...

It's still buggy, and not reliable at all, but it seems as though the issue is whether "auto created" clips are selected to show or not... (which means clip select actually works properly)

Auto Created clips show or not show seems to be random as to whether it's selected... And sometimes seems to change state on its own.
UAD Quad PCIe