Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-08-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Track Grouping Capability in Protools First?

I was trying to group tracks in Protools First but it doesn't seem it has that function. Would you please confirm as it seems I may need to purchase
the paid Protools software to do this.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Track Grouping Capability in Protools First?

Pro Tools First doesn't have track grouping. Not sure if it's helpful for what you need, but you can group Clips. Some info from the Online Help...

Quote:
A clip group is a collection of any combination of audio and MIDI clips that looks and acts like a single clip. Clip groups are essentially containers holding one or more clips. Clip groups can be created on single or multiple adjacent audio, MIDI, and Instrument tracks. Clip groups let you “nest” multiple clips into “macro” clips for groove and tempo manipulation, editing, and arranging.
Clip groups can be placed on tracks alongside standard clips, and edited using many of the same editing techniques as regular clips. Certain edits to a clip group will apply to all clips contained by the clip group, such as Cut or Delete. Other edits only apply to the boundaries of the clip group and do not affect the underlining clips, such as Trim.
Each clip group is saved with the project as a Clip Group file (.rgrp). Clip group files created on full versions Pro Tools can be imported into Pro Tools | First.
Clip groups are especially useful for:
  • Grouping tick-based audio clips that have been separated into many small clips, such as with individual hits of a drum pattern. Many such small clips can easily be created with Beat Detective or the Separate Clip At Transients command, or imported as REX or ACID files.
  • Grouping parts and sections of your project to facilitate composition and arranging. For example, grouping the clips of a brass section during the chorus to copy it to the next chorus.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Track Grouping Capability in Protools First?

Thank you for the feedback. I just purchased Protools. I really need the track grouping capability for my podcast interviews and edits.