How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2024, 03:34 AM

Default SSD 5 Recording on single output

Hello All,
Newbie to the community. How do I record a drum track in Pro tools using Steven Slate Drums 5 ? I have created an intrument track and have SSD5 playing through it but can't record the "groove" selected ?
I don't want go down the route of individual outputs for each drum piece yet. There's a bonaza of videos on doing multi outputs but nothing of just a single output track ?? I have a feeling I'm missing something simple.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:14 PM
Avid

Default Re: SSD 5 Recording on single output

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkHwy View Post
Hello All,
Newbie to the community. How do I record a drum track in Pro tools using Steven Slate Drums 5 ? I have created an intrument track and have SSD5 playing through it but can't record the "groove" selected ?
I don't want go down the route of individual outputs for each drum piece yet. There's a bonaza of videos on doing multi outputs but nothing of just a single output track ?? I have a feeling I'm missing something simple.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hi! Welcome to the DUC!
You can check page 22 of https://slate-product-files.sfo2.cdn...V0EkQ_FayiS42a

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 04-07-2024, 01:26 PM

Default Re: SSD 5 Recording on single output

What *exactly* are you trying to do/achieve?

For many of us the MIDI on an instrument drum track *is* the recorded track. If we want to post process that we will put audio plugins on the instrument track, or yes maybe use multi-outputs, and often run those discrete outputs to aux inputs to run plugins on different outputs. Nothing often gets recorded there, but if you want to do that you can use an audio track instead of an aux. And in modern workflows instrument tracks are likely to be frozen or committed to reduce VI load/convert them to audio. So I would be asking if recording the audio is the best workflow here, but there is no right/wrong way to do stuff.

If you want to record the audio output: Can you hear the groove you want play and are just unsure how to record audio (not MIDI) from that? You can start by setting the Output of that instrument track to an audio track. Record arming that audio track, and pressing record and play on the transport.

Or are you really trying to transfer MIDI out of SS5 into MIDI on the instrument track?