Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Default Installing Komplete 8 on a different drive

Do I have re-install Komplete 8 from the discs or is there a way to drag and drop files from my old HD disc to my newer SDD? (I'm guessing that simply copying the files… even if I knew which ones… would screw up the directory tree.)

Also: I'm planning to upgrade from PT10&CPTK to PT 11 HD. Do I do that BEFORE I do all this plug-in installing? Or can I do that AFTER?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Installing Komplete 8 on a different drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Do I have re-install Komplete 8 from the discs or is there a way to drag and drop files from my old HD disc to my newer SDD? (I'm guessing that simply copying the files… even if I knew which ones… would screw up the directory tree.)

Also: I'm planning to upgrade from PT10&CPTK to PT 11 HD. Do I do that BEFORE I do all this plug-in installing? Or can I do that AFTER?
Just drag the library folders from your old hard drive to the ssd (make sure they're actually copied/moved there and not just creating a shortcut). You are using separate drives for samples and operating system right? The base programs like Kontakt, Massive, Reaktor, etc. have to remain on your system drive. Just make sure you repoint things like Kontakt to the new location. Don't worry about screwing up the directory tree as you'll have a whole new directory with the ssd anyways.

Doesn't matter when you do it in the upgrade. I'd keep PT10 on your system when you do the PT11 co-install in case you have any plugins that aren't aax64 compatible. On that note make absolutely sure your NI plugins are updated through NI Service Center; hopefully everything you have will have aax64 updates. One program that won't is Battery 3; Battery 3 was not updated to aax64 as that happened with Battery 4.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 PM

I ended up just installing Komplete 8 from the original discs. Then I used the NI Service Center to update it, giving me whatever AAX versions are available. Mountain Lion and all my apps are on one SSD, and this morning I purchased a second SSD to hold my big sample based libraries (Ivory II, Omnisphere, LASS etc.) The final step will be to purchase and install PT 11 HD. Here's hoping it all works as flawlessly as it can.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I ended up just installing Komplete 8 from the original discs. Then I used the NI Service Center to update it, giving me whatever AAX versions are available. Mountain Lion and all my apps are on one SSD, and this morning I purchased a second SSD to hold my big sample based libraries (Ivory II, Omnisphere, LASS etc.) The final step will be to purchase and install PT 11 HD. Here's hoping it all works as flawlessly as it can.
Any reason you did the install by using the original dvd's instead of dragging the folders over?

QAPLA!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:14 PM

I'm reinstalling all my libraries from disc (or via net download) because the "drag it over from its former location" method seemed to result in broken links. Also, in some cases I can't seem to actually find all the old app support type files. If I'm not mistaken, the newer Mac OS I'm dragging stuff to has some of those formerly visible folders now hidden from view… which also doesn't help.

Luckily, I have other stuff I can do during these long installs… so I don't really mind.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I'm reinstalling all my libraries from disc (or via net download) because the "drag it over from its former location" method seemed to result in broken links. Also, in some cases I can't seem to actually find all the old app support type files. If I'm not mistaken, the newer Mac OS I'm dragging stuff to has some of those formerly visible folders now hidden from view… which also doesn't help.

Luckily, I have other stuff I can do during these long installs… so I don't really mind.
Sure you're going to have broken links - that's why I said you have to repoint Kontakt and the others that use the moved samples to the new location. That's even mentioned by NI.

You didn't mention before you were moving to a new version of OSX (that would have changed my answer) - which version are you going to and why? Don't go to Mavericks as PT10 is not supported there but it will run. You also haven't mentioned what version of PT you're using.

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 AM

I wanted to be able to run both Pro Tools 10 HD and Pro Tools 11 HD, so I loaded a new SSD boot drive with Mountain Lion (the required OS for PT 10).

I upgraded to PT 11 HD last night, and everything is installed and working just fine.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I wanted to be able to run both Pro Tools 10 HD and Pro Tools 11 HD, so I loaded a new SSD boot drive with Mountain Lion (the required OS for PT 10).

I upgraded to PT 11 HD last night, and everything is installed and working just fine.
I would use Mountain Lion to run both PT10 and PT11; Mavericks not needed for PT11. Good to hear you got it all working.

QAPLA!