Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Default File Managment

Just curious on how often people delete old files from the console. Also, is there a recommended schedule for doing a CLEAR console. I have been asked by my boss on what others are doing after seeing one operator with about 90 files in his folder. everyone has their own USB stick to save their files as needed.

Scott
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Default Re: File Managment

I've got well over 100 files on my console. And since only a fraction of the hd is used up, I see no need to remove them. I guess when it becomes too cumbersome to sort through them all is when I'll remove some of the older, unused files. But I still like to browse though some old shows every now and again to see what settings were being used, or how the desk was laid out. It's kind of a neat way look back and see how my mixing workflow has progressed thanks to Venue.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Since our console is in a HOW setting, my file organization might differ a tad from what others might find useful. In our corner of the world, we have a handful of folders on our venue for show files - weekend services, midweek services, special events, templates, and archive - and show files are named by their service date - 09-May-20 would be tonight's file. As we work through each service, it gets stored to either the weekend or midweek folders normally. Once every 3 or 4 months I log back out to the Windows desktop and move all of the now old shows to the archive folder to keep things organized. It's really handy to be able to go back in time to evaluate a show file for favorite settings, best practices or layout ideas.

Since we're only coming up on our 1 year anniversary on the Venue, our archive folder is still reasonably manageable. Eventually I could imagine only keeping a year's worth of show files on the console and backing up the rest to another storage device.
www.cordernotes.com
Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Current count between all operators we have just under 800 files stored on the console.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 AM

I've been doing something similar to Tim. I've got several folders for different types of events, and then when those get full I go offline and move them into an archive folder.

I keep everything on a USB drive since the show files are so small. It's always interesting to look at how I was doing things three years ago compared to now.

Dave