Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Default question about audiosuite gain plugin

Does using the audiosuite gain plugin a bunch of times on a vocal track degenerate the sound quality in any way? I found that using this plugin a bunch of times on a track, freed me from trying to get the volume right automating with the 002.

Thanks!
Keith
Old 11-05-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: question about audiosuite gain plugin

Quote:
Does using the audiosuite gain plugin a bunch of times on a vocal track degenerate the sound quality in any way? I found that using this plugin a bunch of times on a track, freed me from trying to get the volume right automating with the 002.

Thanks!
Keith
I know a very popular film mix engineer here in Australia who tells me the only things he actually renders in Protools (apart from the final mixes) are gain changes. With +12dB available at the fader and +12dB available with a single instance of a trim plugin it probably isn't so necessary now.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 AM

freed you....you answered your own question. Obviously, you love the results or else you won't keep using it. Hence the audio quality is good,

Personally I use it without s seconds thought. Technology is amazing these days. If the initial signal is digitally clear so to speak. There is no reason to worry about inherent noise like way back in the day with analog tape. Unless you grew up in those times, you have no need to worry about degradation of sound.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM

It should be fine for many generations, especially in a 24-bit session. If your session is 16-bit, and if you process the same portion of audio a few dozen times, you might begin to notice some dither build-up if your prefs are set to use Audio Suite dither. That would probably be about it.

If you're worried about it, do a nul test. Keep track of the changes you've made to a single region, and then place the original on another track with an inverted trim plug (aligned with sample accuracy). Bypass all plug-ins on the processed track. Set the volume fader of the unprocessed track to the level that is the sum of the changes you made using the gain plug-in. Solo those two tracks and listen to that region. You should hear nothing (if they're identical except for phase, they'll cancel each other out completely). If you hear little bits of jittery noise, then some degradation has occured.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB