Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Logical end-of-file reached (-39)

Hi. One of my clients brought in his hard drive and as always I check to see if the drive was formatted properly. It was not mac os extended as it should be, but pc file exchange. I copied the files to my scsi and when I opened the protools file I got this message "cannot open the selected file because Logical end-of-file reached (-39) while reading "Song 1" I am running protools 6.9 and mac os X 10.3.7 on my G5 dual 2. My clients claim that they could open files from the firewire drive on their computer. I got the same message if I opened the file on the scsi or the firewire. They said they are running protools 6.7 Le on an Imac they got in December. Anyone got any ideas? I am going to update to 10.3.9 and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Logical end-of-file reached (-39)

Hi,

I wouldn't go to 10.3.9 just for this! 10.3.8 seems to be very stable for a lot of people!

Just wait for a few hours till the US and other countries wake up and chime in with what to do.

Good luck

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Nothin??? Have I stumped the board? I know i am stumped.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:47 AM

Hi

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP THE BOY OUT!!

I would give as many details as possible taht may help people to solve your problem, also search the forum for similar problems! you can search as far back as a year, in the search box at the bottom of the forum page.

My experience with PC files are, once they have been copied from a pc disk they have been modified and the file extension have been changed in some way and mac can no longer read then correctly. there is an option when saving to make the session both PC and MAC compatible, perhaps you'll have to go back to the original source of the session and get them to save again if possible.

Someone with more experience might want to advise the boy

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:13 AM

The blame for this one goes to the client that is using hte PC Exchange formatted firewire disk! For once the engineer is not to blame! This format will get you into trouble every time.

Tell your client to backup the files to another medium from their computer, such as DVD-R, and then pull them in off the DVD-R. This is the best course of action since it allegedly works for them (they should really consider themselves lucky). The -39 error occurs when the OS finds a disk marker (or doesn't) that signifies the end of the file (or wrongfully so).
Old 06-09-2005, 06:26 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem when trying to open PC PT5 sessions on G5 Mac OS X PT6.7.
With respect to your proposal, I did backup the files from the PC NTFS file system to a DVD-R+ and then copied them to my Mac hard drive.
When trying to open the PT sessions, I get the same error "Could not complete your request because Logical end-of-file reached (-39)".

I understand that there is a difference of the "end-of-file" flag between PC and Mac
(PC=Chr(13)+Chr(10) Mac=Chr(13) or Chr(10) only) but how do I avoid this when copying the PC sessions to the Mac?

Any help is really appreciated

Thank you

Carsten