Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-06-2021, 06:39 PM
off the wall's Avatar
off the wall off the wall is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC-NJ
Posts: 338
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

I've been running a 2010 MacPro (see sig) with the latest PT for some time. I just recently upgraded it to macOS 11.6. It's kicking butt./
__________________
offthewallproductions
Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 Ghz 12 core, Open Core 0.7.4 EFI, Radeon RX580 GPU, M.2 NVMe SSD boot drive on PCIe card, 48GB RAM, MacOS 11.6.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7.0 HDX, UA Octo PCIe cards, HD I/O, C|24 control surface.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-08-2021, 09:22 AM
docscholl docscholl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 221
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Hey all - I'm reading some encouraging comments that might help me get up-to-speed with the newer PT software.

My background is old school Pro Tools LE 8 (don't laugh, it still works great on my 2008 Mac Pro 5!) but I recently got a used iMac 27-inch (late 2013) that might be able to handle the newer PT software. The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm also wondering if my MBOX3 Pro or 003+ will interface well with the newer PT software.

Would appreciate comments from those with experience. Thank you!
__________________
003+ Factory & Mbox 3
Apple powered by OS X 10.5.8:
iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/4GB SDRAM (8.0.5LE)
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-08-2021, 10:51 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,749
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscholl View Post
Hey all - I'm reading some encouraging comments that might help me get up-to-speed with the newer PT software.

My background is old school Pro Tools LE 8 (don't laugh, it still works great on my 2008 Mac Pro 5!) but I recently got a used iMac 27-inch (late 2013) that might be able to handle the newer PT software. The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm also wondering if my MBOX3 Pro or 003+ will interface well with the newer PT software.

Would appreciate comments from those with experience. Thank you!
Last things first - you're going to need adapters to go from the iMacs Thunderbolt to the Firewire connections on your interfaces. Next is your OSX as Avid no longer supports High Sierra with current versions of PT. That being said I have a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater running OSX 10.13.6 on 48 gig of ram and it runs ok. You should really move up to either Mojave or Catalina with a clean install of OSX and all your programs.


That brings up yet another fly in the ointment - will your interfaces work in one of those newer OSX's? It looks like the Mbox 3 Pro will work on Mojave OSX 10.14.4 according to this page: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ox-Pro-Drivers It looks like the latest versions of PT aren't supported. Can't seem to find anything for the 003 though.


What's your system hard drive? Please tell me it's NOT a Fusion drive as those are death to using for recording. In any case you should really think about recording to a separate drive.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Wallyjam Wallyjam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 23
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I've been running a 2010 MacPro (see sig) with the latest PT for some time. I just recently upgraded it to macOS 11.6. It's kicking butt./
Just getting back into home recording after many years. I have a 2009 MacPro flashed to 5.1 and running Mojave. I updated the CPU and Video card and it's running pretty well. Recently discovered Open Core and based on the videos, it appears relatively easy to install. One never knows, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before installing Open Core 0.7.4 EFI and hopefully upgrading to Big Sur? I have only one system drive and would back it up before attempting. I also read that the original wifi cards don't function sometimes after Open Core is installed. Admittedly, upgrading at my own risk, but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. Hoping to use this system for at least another year or two until there's an Apple silicon MacPro and the software developers catch up.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 PM
off the wall's Avatar
off the wall off the wall is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC-NJ
Posts: 338
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyjam View Post
Just getting back into home recording after many years. I have a 2009 MacPro flashed to 5.1 and running Mojave. I updated the CPU and Video card and it's running pretty well. Recently discovered Open Core and based on the videos, it appears relatively easy to install. One never knows, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before installing Open Core 0.7.4 EFI and hopefully upgrading to Big Sur? I have only one system drive and would back it up before attempting. I also read that the original wifi cards don't function sometimes after Open Core is installed. Admittedly, upgrading at my own risk, but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. Hoping to use this system for at least another year or two until there's an Apple silicon MacPro and the software developers catch up.
I have updated WIFI and Bluetooth cards in my 5,1 so they are supported natively in Big Sur. I was previously running OC and Catalina with the original 2010 5,1 WIFI and Bluetooth and there was a setting in OC that allowed them to work.

Pitfalls are that you are running an unsupported OS. Make sure you have a good clone before you start. Your mileage may vary but I’ve had no issues with either Catalina or Big Sur with an HDX system and PT 2021.7
__________________
offthewallproductions
Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 Ghz 12 core, Open Core 0.7.4 EFI, Radeon RX580 GPU, M.2 NVMe SSD boot drive on PCIe card, 48GB RAM, MacOS 11.6.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7.0 HDX, UA Octo PCIe cards, HD I/O, C|24 control surface.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-09-2021, 05:40 AM
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,454
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

A massive number of people including large "name" studios running old PPC Macs!
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM
docscholl docscholl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 221
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What's your system hard drive? Please tell me it's NOT a Fusion drive as those are death to using for recording. In any case you should really think about recording to a separate drive.
Whoa - I am behind in a lot of Apple & PT updates...had to research what a Fusion drive was. The answer: NO - my iMac does not have a Fusion drive.

FYI - I usually record all audio to my external Glyph drive.

Thanks!
__________________
003+ Factory & Mbox 3
Apple powered by OS X 10.5.8:
iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/4GB SDRAM (8.0.5LE)
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 PM
fork-media fork-media is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Posts: 441
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

I'm still running a 2012 mac mini- has done stellar work, just taken it over toe high sierra and Protools 11.3.2. ( left PT 10 behind )

and now its creaking a little - needs more RAM ( maxed out at 16 Gig )

I dont want to go to the latest version tho as I dont want to go subscription just yet.. and thats what big sur etc will entail....

I was thinking about buying a 2nd hand trash can - altho a nice laptop might be ok - ( but I would be planning to run it closed and use external monitor / keyboard etc..

any advice?
__________________
i7 quad mac mini - 10.9.5 - 2x 1 TB SSD Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
protools 10.3.10 ( also 11.2,1 ) CPTK/ HD Avid MC Mix / MC Control
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:25 AM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,217
Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
I dont want to go to the latest version tho as I dont want to go subscription just yet.. and thats what big sur etc will entail....
There is no requirement to go "subscription" for Big Sur. You can continue with an active perpetual upgrade and support plan. If your perpetual plan has lapsed however, you can still buy a new perpetual plan with one year updates and support (with the option to continue updates and support annually). Having said that, subscription is a possible option if you are interested in that pricing model. Be sure to know your options.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
MacBookPro14,3 - Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz, 16 GB
MacOS 11.6 running Protools 2021.7
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96k sessions on an older computer kirkbross General Discussion 0 07-24-2014 03:17 PM
updating older PT LE on older Mac skfdude 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 11-21-2013 01:03 PM
Question about an older Mac Pro and possible older versions of Pro Tools HD wolfman_rob Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 13 07-21-2013 01:29 AM
Can't get my older pro tools to open on my new computer. west chelsea Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) 3 05-06-2007 03:29 PM
OSX on an older computer Soberphobia 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 01-01-2003 07:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com