Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-06-2021, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Who else is still using a Mac Pro 5,1 or older computer?

I've been running a 2010 MacPro (see sig) with the latest PT for some time. I just recently upgraded it to macOS 11.6. It's kicking butt./
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:22 AM

Hey all - I'm reading some encouraging comments that might help me get up-to-speed with the newer PT software.

My background is old school Pro Tools LE 8 (don't laugh, it still works great on my 2008 Mac Pro 5!) but I recently got a used iMac 27-inch (late 2013) that might be able to handle the newer PT software. The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm also wondering if my MBOX3 Pro or 003+ will interface well with the newer PT software.

Would appreciate comments from those with experience. Thank you!
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 10-08-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscholl View Post
Hey all - I'm reading some encouraging comments that might help me get up-to-speed with the newer PT software.

My background is old school Pro Tools LE 8 (don't laugh, it still works great on my 2008 Mac Pro 5!) but I recently got a used iMac 27-inch (late 2013) that might be able to handle the newer PT software. The iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.6, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm also wondering if my MBOX3 Pro or 003+ will interface well with the newer PT software.

Would appreciate comments from those with experience. Thank you!
Last things first - you're going to need adapters to go from the iMacs Thunderbolt to the Firewire connections on your interfaces. Next is your OSX as Avid no longer supports High Sierra with current versions of PT. That being said I have a 2012 MacPro cheesegrater running OSX 10.13.6 on 48 gig of ram and it runs ok. You should really move up to either Mojave or Catalina with a clean install of OSX and all your programs.

That brings up yet another fly in the ointment - will your interfaces work in one of those newer OSX's? It looks like the Mbox 3 Pro will work on Mojave OSX 10.14.4 according to this page: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ox-Pro-Drivers It looks like the latest versions of PT aren't supported. Can't seem to find anything for the 003 though.

What's your system hard drive? Please tell me it's NOT a Fusion drive as those are death to using for recording. In any case you should really think about recording to a separate drive.

QAPLA!
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I've been running a 2010 MacPro (see sig) with the latest PT for some time. I just recently upgraded it to macOS 11.6. It's kicking butt./
Just getting back into home recording after many years. I have a 2009 MacPro flashed to 5.1 and running Mojave. I updated the CPU and Video card and it's running pretty well. Recently discovered Open Core and based on the videos, it appears relatively easy to install. One never knows, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before installing Open Core 0.7.4 EFI and hopefully upgrading to Big Sur? I have only one system drive and would back it up before attempting. I also read that the original wifi cards don't function sometimes after Open Core is installed. Admittedly, upgrading at my own risk, but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. Hoping to use this system for at least another year or two until there's an Apple silicon MacPro and the software developers catch up.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyjam View Post
Just getting back into home recording after many years. I have a 2009 MacPro flashed to 5.1 and running Mojave. I updated the CPU and Video card and it's running pretty well. Recently discovered Open Core and based on the videos, it appears relatively easy to install. One never knows, but are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before installing Open Core 0.7.4 EFI and hopefully upgrading to Big Sur? I have only one system drive and would back it up before attempting. I also read that the original wifi cards don't function sometimes after Open Core is installed. Admittedly, upgrading at my own risk, but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. Hoping to use this system for at least another year or two until there's an Apple silicon MacPro and the software developers catch up.
I have updated WIFI and Bluetooth cards in my 5,1 so they are supported natively in Big Sur. I was previously running OC and Catalina with the original 2010 5,1 WIFI and Bluetooth and there was a setting in OC that allowed them to work.

Pitfalls are that you are running an unsupported OS. Make sure you have a good clone before you start. Your mileage may vary but I’ve had no issues with either Catalina or Big Sur with an HDX system and PT 2021.7
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:40 AM

A massive number of people including large "name" studios running old PPC Macs!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What's your system hard drive? Please tell me it's NOT a Fusion drive as those are death to using for recording. In any case you should really think about recording to a separate drive.
Whoa - I am behind in a lot of Apple & PT updates...had to research what a Fusion drive was. The answer: NO - my iMac does not have a Fusion drive.

FYI - I usually record all audio to my external Glyph drive.

Thanks!
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 PM

I'm still running a 2012 mac mini- has done stellar work, just taken it over toe high sierra and Protools 11.3.2. ( left PT 10 behind )

and now its creaking a little - needs more RAM ( maxed out at 16 Gig )

I dont want to go to the latest version tho as I dont want to go subscription just yet.. and thats what big sur etc will entail....

I was thinking about buying a 2nd hand trash can - altho a nice laptop might be ok - ( but I would be planning to run it closed and use external monitor / keyboard etc..

any advice?
Old 10-12-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
I dont want to go to the latest version tho as I dont want to go subscription just yet.. and thats what big sur etc will entail....
There is no requirement to go "subscription" for Big Sur. You can continue with an active perpetual upgrade and support plan. If your perpetual plan has lapsed however, you can still buy a new perpetual plan with one year updates and support (with the option to continue updates and support annually). Having said that, subscription is a possible option if you are interested in that pricing model. Be sure to know your options.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-31-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
2010 5,1 HDX, 64gb
Holding at macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.
Ultimate 2021.7
Rx580 flashed
Running well.
I was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd ask here first

No DVI output on Majave w/ RX580?
I have been using High Sierra on my Mac Pro 2012 with XFX Radeon RX580 with dual screens for over a year. Had to update to Mojave. So I cloned my SSD to a HD and then updated the HS SSD to the latest Mojave 10.14.6 and now the DVI out doesn't work. I set the clone which still has HS and the DVI out work but when I set it to the SSD with Mojave I can't get a signal out of the DVI.

Tried calling apple tech support and AMD to no avail. I am assuming it's a driver issue? (each one says call the other and it's not their issue)

Anyone else using the DVI on the RX 580 on Mojave 10.14.6?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S