Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2021, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Apple Macbook Pro - M1 Pro & M1 Max

Thanks for the detailed report - and good luck with getting it up and running!
Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden View Post
Hi all...

New MBP arrived yesterday. Here are my experiences thus far.

- upon booting for the first time, I immediately updated Monterey to 12.0.1
- did a basic install of Ultimate 2021.10 (stock or "core" plugs only...literally nothing special installed)
***no problems at all, Pro Tools basic test session (128 tracks with pink noise files generated on each track) ran on Aggregate I/O with no issues whatsoever

- installed HD drivers
- HD OMNI recognized immediately (connected directly to MBP with a TB3 to TB2 adaptor and then also through my TB2 display)
***no problems at all with same test session bussed out to 5.1 monitors

- activated Video Engine
- opened large feature dialogue premix session (~60 tracks; 6 reel supersession) w/DNXHD picture (many 5.1 busses, many third party plugs THAT WERE ALL INACTIVE BECAUSE I HADN'T INSTALLED THEM YET)
***no problems with playback, very snappy response with picture playing on an HD monitor connected to built-in HDMI

- started installing third party plugs, starting with FabFilter ProQ2/Q3
***no issues with booting PT, same playback results, same performance

- moved on to iZotope RX8 Advanced / Post Suite and this is where something has broken (admittedly I got a bit cocky / lazy here as I didn't install each of the iZotope products individually)
***PT booted *once* and got to opening the session and hung when reading the first track that had plugs instantiated
***force quit PT, shut down machine, booted machine
***launched PT and now PT hangs on the splash screen loading Elastic Audio

NOTE: No other "paid" Avid plugs had been installed yet (see the shared image of the problematic list in an earlier post in this thread) - I had avoided those purposefully for now. There are no other plug-ins in any of my plug-in folders that weren't installed with the base install of Pro Tools (I can tell by looking at their added dates in the respective plug-in folders).

*NO* other software had been installed on the machine as I wanted to be methodical with getting PT up and running first.

Okay, now to go about uninstalling the iZotope products and see what I find. I'll try to report back here with my discoveries.

This is what hiatus weeks are for, right?

~sb

EDIT: Here are my machine specs...
16" Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB RAM 512GB SSD
Even the latest Isotope update from a day or so ago does't work in Monterey.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:37 AM

So, PT is up and running successfully now with plenty of 3rd party plugs (FabFilter, Sound Toys, McDSP, Sound Radix, Waves) but I haven't bothered with the aforementioned "paid" Avid product (how ironic). Right now I really miss the Pro Limiter.

Indeed, almost nothing happening with iZotope *except* that RX8 Connect *does* successfully round-trip audio to iZotope RX8 Audio Editor. No AudioSuite or real-time plugs in PT, but at least I can get a bit of work done outside of PT.

No issues (yet?!?) with picture or with the M1X hardware talking to my existing studio hardware (HD OMNI through HD Native thunderbolt).

Eucon hardware immediately started talking to PT (not that I *really* expected any issues there but, you know...).

Everything is certainly VERY fast which is a great treat.

For those who read my earlier post about port usage, here's what I've settled on for now:

TB1:
Primary work drive (currently a 1TB USB 3 spinner)

TB2:
TB3->TB2 adaptor to my trusty old Thunderbolt Display. Connected to the TB Display is a 7-port USB hub for keyboards and iLoks, a TB cable to the HD Native interface and ethernet.

TB3:
USB-C hub connected to my library/back-up drive and DSLR camera. That hub currently has one USB3 port vacant as well as another HDMI port. Slow power connected there too (over USB-C). Note that I'm not using the MagSafe port right now. I'm flirting with the idea of keeping the MagSafe cable and its power supply in my portable kit...not sure yet. No issues with powering over USB-C right now...so far.

HDMI:
HD monitor for picture. (Again, I'm a post person.)

<touching wood> All is good!

~sb