How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 02:51 AM

Default crash

My pro tools is crashing
When I try to load a preset then press play it does that thing where the stop button starts and it won't play.
Then when I restart pro tools it gets stuck restoring tracks when loading session.
I keep changing the buffer size to 256 because pro tools keeps changing the buffer size back to 1024 on its own.
I changed it in both pro tools and on my interfaces "hardware window" or whatever that's called.
There may be something with my external hard drive that I use as my storage for my programs.
Seems like whenever I start something up I can hear the harddrive starting up as if it's not constantly going to run this.
Also whenever I simply try to close out of a session the session closes but the pro tools is just stuck not closing then I have to Ctrl alt delete task manager and make it shut down. Or press x enough times til the window pops up that says closes program.

Dell XPS I9
64gb Ram
12th gen Intel 12900hk 2500 mhz.....
I had a problem where I was getting clicks pops in speakers with Apollo x6 and with Motu M2. Dell support came and reinstalled some hardware so now it doesn't click pop anymore.
Everything should run fine so please don't be skeptical about that. There should be no reason.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:58 PM

Default Re: crash

Please do look at the Help Us Help You link, and do every single optimization.

Report back if anything cannot be done or if your problem goes away.

Is it a clean install on a fresh formatted machine? Is that computer listed in Avid's Windows machines that are compatible?

Ultimately you must be willing to back up, reformat, and install fresh, if the other optimizations do not work. There is always a reason.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-17-2023, 01:05 PM

Default Re: crash

I keep changing the buffer size to 256 because pro tools keeps changing the buffer size back to 1024 on its own.
This makes me wonder if Windows is using your interface as its playback device, which is often a problem on any Windows machine. Try(or make sure) setting(in Windows>settings>Sound) the playback device to the onboard sound card(Realtek?).

There may be something with my external hard drive that I use as my storage for my programs.
What are you storing on this drive(and what are the specs of the drive)? Can you test without this drive connected? If your system drive is an SSD, you can run any reasonable-sized session from it, and its worth testing.

Lastly, since its a Dell, there is likely a lot of "bloatware" that you should uninstall If none of this helps, more info on the setup might(its not possible to give too much info). And +1 for reviewing all the system optimizations(especially disabling Turbo Boost in BIOS/UFEI, and Power Management on all USB ports in Device Manager)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave