Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-16-2020, 11:07 AM

Default Error occurred while trying to load the controller

"Error occurred while trying to load the controller personality "Eucon"

This is a new installation on Windows of Pro Tools HD. I'm just getting it started. It's Windows 8.1 Pro. Sorry, I really need to upgrade to Win 10. Hopefully that's not the problem.

Eucon is 20.1.0.50 and I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I have an S1 and a tablet attached and the Eucon software sees the controllers and they are up in the right hand side of the Eucon setup screen. I upgraded the firmware in the S1 as well.

Pro Tools is a new installation of Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12.0. The error occurs after checking Enable Eucon in Setup/Peripherals/Ethernet Controllers.

Last edited by Bob Katz; 03-16-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Error occurred while trying to load the controller

The second time I try, in addition to the above error, I get this error:

"Access violation occurred , unable to read location 0x0000000000" (number of zeros indeterminate)
Old 03-16-2020, 07:06 PM

I just launched Magix Sequoia and it accesses the S1 and the tablet very well. So the problem is definitely within Pro Tools, perhaps a .dll which is missing or not configured correctly.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 AM
Avid

Does the EUCON Pref stay checked next time you restart PT ? If not I would uninstall PT and reinstall. And to check when you uninstalled EUCON you used the installer and checked remove all apps and prefs ?
Old 03-18-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Does the EUCON Pref stay checked next time you restart PT ? If not I would uninstall PT and reinstall. And to check when you uninstalled EUCON you used the installer and checked remove all apps and prefs ?
Thanks, Eddie. OK, I'll go through that.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 AM

I FIXED IT! Unfortunately I had to go through all of the steps including uninstall and reinstall and still initializing the Eucon failed. And then I got adventurous and decided to enable the Eucon controller when there was no session open. And voila!!!!! It went through.

So the bug is: Do not try to enable the Eucon peripheral while a session is open. It comes up with an error that makes you think this function is broken....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Katz View Post
Thanks, Eddie. OK, I'll go through that.
Well, we're still dead in the water. Here are the EXACT steps I went through:

Pro Tools uninstall:
1 backed up all preferences etc. using Trasher
2 trashed preferences etc. using trasher
3 uninstalled pro tools and HD driver etc. using Programs and Features in 8.1
4 Eucon uninstall:
Ran the installer and checked uninstall, did not remove user preferences
5 Reinstalled Pro Tools HD including the HD driver, Avid effects, etc.
6 Restarted
7 Launched Pro Tools with these virgin preferences to ensure it is stable before reinstalling Eucon
8 Launched the newly installed PT, to see it's stable with default preferences. Set the hardware to my RME MADI, tested a session, which plays stably, and quit.
9 Reinstalled the Eucon workstation
10 Restarted
11 Inspected Eucon workstation control panel. Surfaces come up exactly as before.
12 Launched Pro Tools, still with semi-virgin preferences.
13 Tried to initialize Eucon. "Error occured while trying to load controller personality Eucon." If you don't think I'm pissed, then you're wrong. Please escalate this to the next level... that was a ****load of work to come up with the same result.
14 Using Trasher, I restored my preferences
15 Now I tested the S1 control and the tablet by releasing them from Eucon Control in Studio A and reconnecting them to the Eucon control in Studio B. I launched Pro Tools on the Mac in Studio B and I am able to control Pro Tools remotely from a different studio
16 Conclusions: Something’s wrong with the Pro Tools installation in Studio A but I think it’s something missing in the installer or wrongly configured. Probably a missing or defective DLL.

Last edited by Bob Katz; 03-19-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Avid

I wonder if it could be Windows 8.1 (Its not tested or supported) That said I don't see why it shouldn't work though.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I wonder if it could be Windows 8.1 (Its not tested or supported) That said I don't see why it shouldn't work though.
Dear Eddie: Thanks for your interest. As you can see in my last post, I got Eucon to work, by SIMPLY checking the checkbox without a session running. So, it's a bug obviously, and one that lead me on a frustrating wild goose chase. Avid should fix it for Pro Tools 2020 for sure.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:59 AM

for the first time in years this occoured on pt 2023.06, and again.. checking the eucon tickbox without having a session open fixes the issue..

Edit:

Windows 10 Pro, 22H2, 19045.3324