Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Drumkits From Hell? Install From Hell.

Hi all

I've been trying to install DFH Superior with PTLE 6.4 and just can't seem to get it working. I've one drive (for the moment) with XP Pro (SP1) and have loaded on the Sound Files into a new folder as per instructions. What I can't get the hang of from the (obscure) manual is where to put the control files on the setup, and configuring the ReWire. Can anyone who has it up and working let me know the path for the files, and the steps towards full operation?

Cheers
Sparks
Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Drumkits From Hell? Install From Hell.

Take it back and buy BFD. Its way better trust me.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:59 AM

Since this is opened software chances are he can't return it...

For Pro Tools the path to the control files can be anything you want it to be. example: C:\programfiles\toontrack\Superior\drummer
you just need to make sure that all 10 files are in the same location.

Check out the forum at www.toontrack.com there is a wealth of information and they respond quickly to problems, at least they did for me?... i struggled as well getting it running and found every answer i needed in the forum, you'll definately need at least 1.5 GB of ram...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:09 AM

Do you HAVE to install all of the sets? I only want to try a few, and I don't have the space right now.

What if, worst case scenario, I don't want to use their sequencer and I just want to rip the WAV's for other use - do you think they stored them logically on the DVD's?

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 AM

I think you need to install all 9 dvd's... as far as i remember (i'm not in my studio right now), the folders aren't broken down logically into "kits", ie "Sonor kit" or "ludwig kit", it's more broken down into folders like "kick", "snare", "tom1", "tom2" etc etc, and each folder contains the samples for all the different "kits" with the file names being something like
kick_01-FT-MT-OV.wav etc etc.. and not sonor-kick01-OV.wav or ludwig-kick01-OV.wav, so i think it would be hard to tell the "Kits" apart????... i'm just guessing here.

I would just try and scoop up a cheap 40GB Hard Drive to store the sounds.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:27 AM

As luck would have it, I got it working last night after I posted. You have to initialise the ReWire for the plugin after you select it for the insert, something that's not at all clear from the manual (is it in the ReWire operation guide?) I'd been doing it right all along, but not doing the last vital step to link them together. D'OH .

I'm going to get a big drive (200 gig) for the kit wavs and audio, but is it that RAM hungry? Will it work ok with 1gig?

All the sound wavs seem to be in seperate folders, but with all the velocity sensing and ambience bleeding between mics it'll be a nightmare to sort through them all for a seprate sampler.

Cheers
Sparks
Old 04-06-2005, 09:48 AM

My understanding is that with PT 6.7 you no longer need rewire to run the program. One reason to upgrade, along with the new EQ III.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
As luck would have it, I got it working last night after I posted. You have to initialise the ReWire for the plugin after you select it for the insert, something that's not at all clear from the manual (is it in the ReWire operation guide?) I'd been doing it right all along, but not doing the last vital step to link them together. D'OH .

I'm going to get a big drive (200 gig) for the kit wavs and audio, but is it that RAM hungry? Will it work ok with 1gig?

All the sound wavs seem to be in seperate folders, but with all the velocity sensing and ambience bleeding between mics it'll be a nightmare to sort through them all for a seprate sampler.

Cheers
Sparks
I feel your pain Sparks. I've been using DFHS with PTLE for a year now and every upgrade has a twist. I would recommend installing all of the DFHS files to a seperate internal HD. This is still the fastest way to retrieve them for playing and playback. I have a dedicated 10K Raptor drive that is really doing the trick, although I did have all of the DFHS sounds on a 7200 IDE ATA drive in the past and this worked as well. To use any "substantial" kit in DFHS, you'll need 1.5GB of very good RAM.

Would you detail your current system so I may make some recommendations? Also, have you looked at the new downloadable manuals from the ToonTrack website? DFHS is now up to version 1.4.2 and it works sooooo much better than before.

Get the updates here: DFHS Updates You'll need to register if you haven't already. And, you may want to check out their forum too.

Check back here and I will help you in any way I can.

Cheers,

~ J
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 04-06-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that with PT 6.7 you no longer need rewire to run the program. One reason to upgrade, along with the new EQ III.
How would you run DFHS without Rewire even in PT 6.7????, i don't see how you could do it???...

An RTAS version is being released in the next few months... that should be alot better!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:48 AM
FXpansion Audio

Quote:

Take it back and buy BFD. Its way better trust me.

Thanks for the kind words

Alternatively, you could pick up BFD, and use the import tool we provide to get the (actually pretty good) DFHS sounds imported in to the (much superior, RTAS-compatible) BFD engine.

Best regards,
Angus.