Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-07-2002, 08:13 AM

Default keeping time stamp when importing audio files

i was wondering if anybody knows whether there's a way to keep the timestamp in an audio file you're importing, rather than it just being sucked into the front of the session. i am working on a session and i want to import a track from another session (of the same song) that is chopped up into several audio files. there are so many different ones it will be a huge pain in the ass if i have to manually place each of them where they're supposed to go. is there any way to import them into the same spots they were in their original session?
Old 06-07-2002, 10:26 AM

Default Re: keeping time stamp when importing audio files

File menu, "Import Tracks" should do what you describe.

If I'm not mistaken, this feature was added in PT 5.1 (?). Before, you had to use the Track Transfer utility.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:35 PM

I havent done much of this myself, so let me know how it works. But, thinking about it now, a work around may be to consolidate the track (ie. all the edits on each track) and include it all to the beginning of the session (bar1). So, then import the audio (1 file for ea. trk.) as you have been and it will line up, because you have created all the consolidated tracks/edits to begin at the beginning of the session time line. Does this make sense? Would it work? Hope it helps.

Sounds like a strange way, and I know it has to be easier than this, but sometimes we have to think on the fly. Ive found the strangest ways to do things in PT sometimes, only to find out the most efficient way later.

Make it work.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:51 PM

Just use the "Import Track" command under the file menu.

Imports the entire track, automation, plugin assignments, etc. The only problem I ever have is if there are missing fade files in the original session, the import fails with some obscure error, can't tranlate RegionFade something something. Doesnt happen very often.

You can choose to even copy over all of the source audio files or just reference them from where they currently exist.

But, to answer your other question; yes, using the import audio command retains the timestamps. Just put LE in spot mode and drag the clips from the bin. I know it works with .sd2 files at least. I do both of these things all the time.