Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-10-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Which PT Version Broke Bounce To Quicktime?

I'm aware of the issues with Bounce To Quicktime since Mac OS went to 64 bit & Avid went to its own video engine, etc.

I have to upgrade 2 systems but I can't go to the latest greatest on both of them. Does Bounce to QT (or mov) work in PT Ultimate 2020.09? Is it back to working in 2021.11?

I know there are workarounds but I really don't want to do that. I sometimes have to export numerous clips and having to go to a 3rd party app and marry audio & video there is just too time consuming - not to mention annoying since this should just work within PT. We all knew well in advance that QT would be affected by OS changes and Avid did noting to address this in advance. If I have to get Video Sync 5, I will. But again, I really would just like the product I've been paying for for 20 years to work.

Any info on what OS & PT Ultimate combo has a successfully working Bounce to QT(mov) GREATLY appreciated.

Also - any alternatives to QT Pro? I know there are plenty of alternatives for transcoding, quick edits, etc. I really like and am used to using the Inspector to check picture specs match what's been requested as well as seeing audio track info, etc. The current QT player may do this, but it doesn't always open all codecs without first converting. This is a pain and waste of time. Everything just opens in QT Pro. Such a bummer that it was ditched.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Which PT Version Broke Bounce To Quicktime?

Pro Tools 2021.12 bounces to video in the way that we've been accustomed to for years. If I understand it correctly, it does a rewrap, which preserves the original video codec and is very fast.

Regarding media inspection, there are lots of options, but the $15 version of Switch from Telestream has been a great Quicktime replacement in my workflow. I set the Finder preferences to open MP4s, MOVs, etc. all with Switch.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:15 PM

the protools ulitmate rewrap is good - feels very much like the bounce to Quicktime I was using in Protools 11

AVE still giving issues tho, almost makes me want to go back to Video Sync Pro.

but then the bounce segments is a PIA

( just realised that 'draft' mode in the movie track for AVE is what has caused my glitch for the last couple of days.... its now behaving it's self! )

Last edited by fork-media; 04-11-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:33 AM

Which OS are you on, because it makes a difference.

We are on 2020.12, because of the issues with video bounces in PT 2021.3+ and OS 10.15 (Different machines, BTW).

The issues we found were:
Pro Tools would overwrite TC
Timelines that mixed rasters (1080x1080, 1920x1080, etc) would not bounce videos correctly.
Videos set to REC 709 colorspace would be bounces at REC 601.

I believe there the second issue was fixed in a recent release and I am being told that the last issue will be addressed in the next release.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I'm aware of the issues with Bounce To Quicktime since Mac OS went to 64 bit & Avid went to its own video engine, etc.

I have to upgrade 2 systems but I can't go to the latest greatest on both of them. Does Bounce to QT (or mov) work in PT Ultimate 2020.09? Is it back to working in 2021.11?

I know there are workarounds but I really don't want to do that. I sometimes have to export numerous clips and having to go to a 3rd party app and marry audio & video there is just too time consuming - not to mention annoying since this should just work within PT. We all knew well in advance that QT would be affected by OS changes and Avid did noting to address this in advance. If I have to get Video Sync 5, I will. But again, I really would just like the product I've been paying for for 20 years to work.

Any info on what OS & PT Ultimate combo has a successfully working Bounce to QT(mov) GREATLY appreciated.

Also - any alternatives to QT Pro? I know there are plenty of alternatives for transcoding, quick edits, etc. I really like and am used to using the Inspector to check picture specs match what's been requested as well as seeing audio track info, etc. The current QT player may do this, but it doesn't always open all codecs without first converting. This is a pain and waste of time. Everything just opens in QT Pro. Such a bummer that it was ditched.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Denver, CO
Old 04-11-2022, 06:42 AM

Yes My system (below in sig line) OS Catalina and PT version 2021.12 works fine ...Seems fast to me but I only do short music videos (all same format) so can't offer any thoughts on longer video productions with mixed formats . Basically the QT window comes up like before

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-11-2022, 02:20 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Which OS are you on, because it makes a difference.

We are on 2020.12, because of the issues with video bounces in PT 2021.3+ and OS 10.15 (Different machines, BTW).

The issues we found were:
Pro Tools would overwrite TC
Timelines that mixed rasters (1080x1080, 1920x1080, etc) would not bounce videos correctly.
Videos set to REC 709 colorspace would be bounces at REC 601.

I believe there the second issue was fixed in a recent release and I am being told that the last issue will be addressed in the next release.

Randall
I'm rebuilding my whole system drive so I'm open to OS. However, I'm on an older MBP and going above 2020.09 isn't supported. I know that doesn't mean higher versions don't work, but I don't want to go through the hassle of a fresh install and find out something basic like Bounce To QT isn't working. That's why I was asking how far back can I go while still being relatively current and having BTQ work. I really don't want to upgrade machines right now. I'm kind of bummed they got rid of the 15" as it's perfect for me. I think the 16 is too big & heavy but the 14 is too small but need to go see them in person. I'd like to wait for M2 gen, if possible. If it's just "no go" then I'll bite the bullet and do the upgrade now. I just need everything working the way it's supposed to. I know PT is now qualified with M1, but again I'd like to stick with what I have for another 9-12 months if possible.

So, long answer to your question - Can be any OS version. Can't go above Big Sur. From my cursory reading, it seems like Catalina may be the best fit. Although I wouldn't completely object to staying in Mojave and using whatever the last vrs of PT Ultimate that works properly with it. This way, I could still keep using my 32bit apps that have nothing to do with audio. This is a secondary portable system, but I do need it to function properly.

Thank again for any advice.

Actually, I am doing a second system too, but that one is a 2018 Mac Mini so plenty of room to go to Big Sur & 2021.12 which sounds like it's working properly.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:22 AM

If you want the QT bounce function to work properly, which to me means not causing the issues that I noted above, you need to keep your OS below 10.14 for now.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

I'm rebuilding my whole system drive so I'm open to OS. However, I'm on an older MBP and going above 2020.09 isn't supported. I know that doesn't mean higher versions don't work, but I don't want to go through the hassle of a fresh install and find out something basic like Bounce To QT isn't working. That's why I was asking how far back can I go while still being relatively current and having BTQ work. I really don't want to upgrade machines right now. I'm kind of bummed they got rid of the 15" as it's perfect for me. I think the 16 is too big & heavy but the 14 is too small but need to go see them in person. I'd like to wait for M2 gen, if possible. If it's just "no go" then I'll bite the bullet and do the upgrade now. I just need everything working the way it's supposed to. I know PT is now qualified with M1, but again I'd like to stick with what I have for another 9-12 months if possible.

So, long answer to your question - Can be any OS version. Can't go above Big Sur. From my cursory reading, it seems like Catalina may be the best fit. Although I wouldn't completely object to staying in Mojave and using whatever the last vrs of PT Ultimate that works properly with it. This way, I could still keep using my 32bit apps that have nothing to do with audio. This is a secondary portable system, but I do need it to function properly.

Thank again for any advice.

Actually, I am doing a second system too, but that one is a 2018 Mac Mini so plenty of room to go to Big Sur & 2021.12 which sounds like it's working properly.
Denver, CO
Old 04-12-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
If you want the QT bounce function to work properly, which to me means not causing the issues that I noted above, you need to keep your OS below 10.14 for now.

Randall
I think you mean at OS 10.14 or below (?). I've not had any issues with QT bounce in Mojave.
That's disappointing. I was hoping to at least be able to go to Catalina, but it's totally doable.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:38 AM

I just use Shutter Encoder to merge bounces with QTs. So much faster. Just drag and drop QT and sound into SE and press start.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:07 PM

I'm a music editor working in features so I would have to edit the QT anyway since I'm never sending the full film. Bounce to QT is way more convenient. If you're sending whole mixes, especially for short-form work, I can see where Shutter Encoder would be more efficient.

Last edited by Ginger; 04-30-2022 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo