Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Default Moving a fade will mess up your automation(!)

Running into a big issue here.

When automation is written to the full length of a clip, and you trim that clip (shorter or extend it), the automation moves along with the length of the clip along it's borders.
But when you put a fade in/fade out on the clip and you drag the fade (using the hand/smart tool), the automation does NOT follow anymore.

Steps to reproduce:

- Make sure 'automation follows edit' is turned on (default).
- Create a 1 minute pink noise clip.
- Trim it down to 30 seconds.
- Create a fade in and fade out.
- Select the clip, switch to volume view and drag the volume down of the entire clip.
- Switch back to waveform view and drag the fades outward with the hand tool to the original 1 minute length.

Before: the volume would be down the entire length or the clip because the automation would follow edit along the clips borders.
Now: the automation does not follow the edit when you drag a fade with the hand tool. It only does when trimming a clip using the trim tool (which is not preferred when working with fades).

This issue is present in PT Ultimate versions:

This issue is not present in PT Ultimate versions:
and pretty much every single version before at least down to PT 6 TDM.

It is a major bug for me since it's not only volume automation, but also panning and insert automation. When cutting background tracks and panning them to the sides/surrounds, the panning now suddenly jumps front to back after I extended the clip a bit. Same goes for insert automation.

I'm starting to believe this is a 'feature' since it has been like this in the last 6 releases.

Is anyone else bothered by this or is this a lone crusade?

Mac OS 10.13.6, PT Ultimate 2020.11
Clean install, trashed prefs, etc etc.

Last edited by Farhoof; 03-31-2021 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added new versions to the list
Old 12-11-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Automation doesn't follow edit anymore when moving a fade

+1

I hope there is something we're missing to make this work correctly again. Instead of it being a bug that never gets fixed.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:58 AM

Not fixed in PT 2020.12 either
Old 03-30-2021, 11:40 AM

Still not fixed in 2021.3, and now it's also broken when trimming a clip boundary with trim tool.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Nor does it appear to be fixed in 2021.3.1, unless someone else can confirm I'm wrong.

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 06-23-2021, 11:19 PM

Yeah I've found this issue too.. super annoying.

I have a tiny hack fix that kind of works for me - you can extend out the clip leaving the fade on, as long as you use the trim tool (square bracket [ symbol) and trim from just inside the region in front of the fade. So don't grab the fade with the hand tool, but extend with the trim if that makes sense..

So if you have a fade up, you need to trim from the right side of the fade up. And vice versa with fade down.

It seems to catch the automation that way and extend it out. Not ideal but better than nothing.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:41 AM

Not fixed in 2021.6, just confirmed it myself.

I'm considering ditching fades altogether but auto fade in/out only goes up to 10msec. Maybe just roll with it and see if QC reports anything.

I don't see this being fixed anymore, too few complaints.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhoof View Post
not fixed in 2021.6, just confirmed it myself.

I'm considering ditching fades altogether but auto fade in/out only goes up to 10msec. Maybe just roll with it and see if qc reports anything.

I don't see this being fixed anymore, too few complaints.
this is madness already!

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 PM

Hey guys. I was searching the internet trying to see if I was the only one experiencing this issue. Glad I found this post.

I've got a slight work-around. It's still not perfect but it helps.

You have to make sure you extend/trim clips using the "Trimmer Tool". If you have the smart tool activated, you can hover up the top inside edge of the fade and extend the clip that way.

Below is before the extension. Make sure the ] symbol shows up in the top corner.
AFE Trimmer Tool 1.Before.jpg

Then extend/reduce the fade and the automation follows.
AFE Trimmer Tool 2.After.jpg

Like I said, it's not ideal, but it's a good work around for the time being.

I've just submitted a support ticket with AVID. Will update you once I've chatted with them.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:21 PM

So further to my last post I have heard back from AVID today. They have said the below:

This issue is related to the Automation is not following edit in "Shuffle Mode" issue that is currently being investigated by our engineering team. Thank you for reporting the issue. I've submitted your case information to Engineering to assist with their research in the matter.

For your reference, the defect/bug number is PT-269825.

There is currently no estimated time for a possible resolution but if we have an update in the near future we will pass that along to you.
So I guess at least they are aware of it. But not real timeline on how long it will take to get it fixed. If I hear from them, I'll let you all know.