Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Default postings get deleted ??

- so I posted a reply to the "technical white papers" post by digidesign. I think they deleted it...unbelievable... It said something like: "I tried a/b'ing an internal PT HD mix to a mix running out of my 192 and into an 8 channel Dangerous summing mixer. The summing mix came out way way more dynamic and seemingly louder even though I normalized the two mixes after to make sure they were at the same level. I then replaced my 192 with a Lynx Aurora converter and again my mix opened up even more and sounded way way better" - I read and trusted the technical white papers posted here by digi but I wish I hadn't...maybe there's some kind of truth in what digi says about the internal summing etc technically speaking...i have no idea...could be complete BS - at least it sounds like it is when you A/B the different pieces of hardware. I was bummed out for the better part of two days because of this...all I can say is: don;t trust the authorities...use your ears.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: postings get deleted ??

I can only agree with all you say...

I've done the same comparisons and even my girlfriend notices the difference without having told her what to listen for - her exact words as she commented the analog version was - This sounds more alive and open

I used to do it ALL ITB & digidesign converters - after getting apogee my stereo image improved dramatically as did the depth of the mix.... Wise heads say: well, you probably mixed it differently and had the volumes and pannings set in another way... All I can say to this : yada yadd...

I remember a day sitting in the studio mixing ITB when I got a visit from a tcelectronic guy. He noticed our large DDA analog console and asked me why I would mix ITB when I had such a fine board. I replied: ITB sounds the same and the plugs are just as good as the EQ's on the board etc... I remember how the end of his lips started to face north and he smiled and said - have you actually ever made a comparison? I replied: Yes I have (but I had not)... Then we entered a little discussion about analog summing and he tried to explain to me that analog summing and great converters makes a huge differences. I thought he was talking trash but as he left he had somehow sparked me with the flame of proving him wrong... So I did the comparisons - and I did a lot of them... The only one proved wrong was - well ME - and I felt like an idiot not having done this before. I had relied on WHITE PAPERS and company specs. saying that ITB is summing the same as an analog mixer...That was 6 years ago... I would have preferred ME to be right about ITB - it would have made my life easier but there is a HUGE sonic difference.

I started off being ALL ITB and plugs all over the place - now I'm In and OTB and use Hardware outboards. I used to believe that compressor bank from McDSP would emulate ALL the hardware compressors out there cuz it said so in the specs and I would always use the VARI-MU emulation within compressor Bank cuz I was dying to get a real VARI-MU... Now I have One and boy - you cant even compare the two... They are both compressors but the McDSP has NOTHING in common with the real deal...

I dont know what is sounding the closet to the truth : Analog or digital but I do know what I like the best...And that is all that matters to me. I hope that I can at least help a few people with a skull as thick as mine to do the actual comparison a little earlier than I did and save them selves some valuable time instead of believing a white paper over their ears and taste...

I know that various Mixing and Mastering guru's state that the white papers are telling the truth and Eric Clapton states that he uses a Martin Guitar for his recordings - does endorsement ring a bell? I know of engineers saying that he uses Santa Cruz and Collings guitars _ but hey this may just be a stupid rumor

Seeing is believing and hearing is believing but only the latter applies to a recording environment..... and you cannot "hear" a commercial white paper))
Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
- so I posted a reply to the "technical white papers" post by digidesign. I think they deleted it...unbelievable... I
No one deleted your post - if it's not showing up, it was either a system glitch or user error.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No one deleted your post - if it's not showing up, it was either a system glitch or user error.
So how come ZR01's profile credits 4 postings but only 3 can be viewed ???

I've had a few deleted in the past, but it was obvious it was going to happen as the entire thread was either spam on the DUC or breached the DUC code of conduct.

Will this post get past the censors?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Not to defend anyone -

I have had some pretty critical posts criticizing digidesign that never got deleted. I've seen posts getting a lock on 'em but never nothing deleted...
Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Guys,

Here's a test to see if you think the D-box (also from Dangerous Music, similar to the Dangerous 2-Bus) makes a difference on your Pro tools setup:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1160298

Please let me know how you think one is different from the other.

Thanks,
Jhorsley