Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 03:41 AM

Default How to create suspense when the bass comes in

I'm doing a song right now where the intro starts off with just a guitar and soon the bass and the drum cymbals come in. I want the song to feel suspensful when the bass comes in...creates this fullness. A good example is this song Echo by Trapt.

I need a powerful presence. Right now the bass blends in too much with the guitar...and you don't feel that much of a mood change in the song. If I raise the bass too much...I hear more of a brittle attack instead more of a blending fullness of the bass note.

So any advice...I have compressors on bass DI and bass amp track. Still can't get what I'm looking for. Is this more of a mastering multiband comp issue?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: How to create suspense when the bass comes in

The answer is in your question. Why don't you take some of the top off of the bass so that when you turn it up, it sounds the way you want it to. When the full drums come in you can switch back to your other sound, which probably works with the kick drum.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:10 AM

Try putting the bass or the guitar in a different octave. A real good arrangement is generally easier to mix, not to mention more effective at conveying ideas.

Good Luck.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Try putting the bass or the guitar in a different octave. A real good arrangement is generally easier to mix, not to mention more effective at conveying ideas.

Good Luck.
you are the man for saying so. I feel relieved that I am not crazy and not alone in this crazy world.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So any advice...I have compressors on bass DI and bass amp track. Still can't get what I'm looking for. Is this more of a mastering multiband comp issue?
If you have a multiband comp, perhaps try it just on the bass tracks.

Posting a link to an mp3 of what you're talking about would be a good idea, so we get a better sense of what you're talking about...
Old 10-29-2003, 02:05 PM

Yeah, posting audio clips as an example is the most effective...just a pain finding hosting sites sometimes. Another song that comes to mind with a bass track that stands out fantastically but doesn't cloud up the mix is the song No Light by 3rd strike.