Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Default First experiences with the new \"brushed aluminium\" iMac ??

could the first owners please be so kind to stand up and share
their pains and joys with us?
Which version of PT did you install and how's the performance?
Is it whisper-silent as I hope it is, even when the machine is pushed?

thank you in advance !
Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: First experiences with the new \"brushed aluminium\" iMac

anyone?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM

good post... i was curious too.

"anyone... yet?"
Old 08-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Hi! I just got the new iMac the day it was released last tuesday. I love it.
My wife has a two year old G5 and mine is much better. First off, the brushed aluminum and glass is beautiful!

It's quite! I can't even tell if it's on or not. The 2.45 core 2 duo screams, and I put 2gb of ram in it. The new iLife is really cool.

I have yet to have any problems and I just installed PT LE 7.3 (I think there was an update from Digidesign..) I can't remember... I installed so much stuff I don't even remember what. So far so good... I've only done some basic recording with my 003 Factory / LE... Just some guitar tracks.

I will say this about the 003. The pre-amps are amazing! I have boutique guitar amps, and they sound on the recording just as they do to my ears live.

I love the new iMac and I haven't had any issues... I hope this helps!

Paul G.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Just ordered the 24" 2.4 GHz today. Will get it in a week or so. I am moving from a AMD 64 x2 4400 with 2GB ram. I am looking forward to better performance as some of my projects are slowing down my old PC. I'll post what I find out when I get it.

Thx.

Robert
Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your reply! Love to hear it's quite
Are the fans contiously turning very quite or aren't they turning most of the time?
Thanks again and enjoy your new iMac!

Blutus
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM

After losing my G5 quad to a power surge this week, (yeah, that hurt), I decided to try the new iMac. Came home with the 20" 2.4, and was very happy at first, but eventually very disappointed with the screen.

If you change between standing and sitting a lot when recording.. I sit when mixing, stand when playing.. the artifacts from the viewing angle might be an issue.. This is the first mac I've seen where at non perfect viewing angles the colors & contrast change... almost to make fine detail unreadable.

So I would advise getting a good look at the screen in the store, from any angle you might use, before buying. I ended up returning mine, paying a restocking fee (yeah that hurt again) to exchange for the 24" 2.4, because the screen was driving me crazy. The 24" does not have this problem.. screen as clear as a bell, just like the cinema displays.

No, this has not been a good week for me.

ANy tips on how to fight an insurance company which denied a power surge claim would be GREATLY appreciated as well ;-) Their current reason for denial is that the surge was 'artificial', not 'natural', since it was heat wave and not lightning related. WTF???.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I ended up returning mine, to exchange for the 24" 2.4, because the screen was driving me crazy.
Hi Cynical1,

yeah, I've found that experience all over the net. I'm planning to get the 24" right away for that reason.
How's the 2.4 GHz performancewise?

thanks for your reply!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I ended up returning mine, to exchange for the 24" 2.4, because the screen was driving me crazy.
Hi Cynical1,

yeah, I've found that experience all over the net. I'm planning to get the 24" right away for that reason.
How's the 2.4 GHz performancewise?

thanks for your reply!
The 2.4 iMac is pretty zippy. It boots in about 1/2 the time of the old G5 Quad. I don't have a real processor crushing mix to run through it, but I do have one with 20 tracks, waves L3, lots of digi plugs, and EZ drummer.. it brings it up to about 30% capacity (60% of processor / 2). I added a 2G memory stick from otherworld computing, and a firewire drive, otherwise the system is stock.

Doing non-protools stuff it's definitely a lot faster... seems to do much more with 2 processors than the G5 did with 4 on non threaded applications.

Interesting benchmarks here, showing the relative comparison of the iMac 2.4 against the G5 quad (positions 9 and 10) showed the G5 had a small advantage multithreaded. I don't know how this translates to PT, but it seems reasonable that the performance would be analogous, giving what I've been seeing with on the machine doing everyday tasks.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/...e-august-2007/
Old 09-17-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: First experiences with the new \"brushed aluminium\" iMac ??

Has anyone tried one with the 002?

I've read on the RME forums that the new iMac is the first machine from apple with a pci-e firewire chipset as opposed to the tried and tested TI chipset that sat on the PCI bus. Or something like that. Apparently this new chipset is causing some people problems (specifically, having to connect an interface via a drive in order for it to be detected)

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any difficulties with the 002 as considering getting one of these new iMacs to repace a G5 that's been beset with 002/firewire problems. Would hate to jump from the frying pan into a similarly hot place.

Cheers.