Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Apple MacBook Pro M1 Pro & M1 Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epmi View Post
Thanks. The new m1 Macbook Pro Max won't run Big Sur. New computers come with Monterey pre-installed, and you can't roll them back.
True.

But with two days of testing on M1 & Monterey and unsupported combo of PT 2021.7 I have not faced any new problems that I did not have with Big Sur.

Future can only look brighter once one day PT software (and iLok) are native Apple Silicon, and that is a catalyst for plugin updates
Old 10-27-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
But with two days of testing on M1 & Monterey and unsupported combo of PT 2021.7 I have not faced any new problems that I did not have with Big Sur.
Agreed, Monterey seems to be a minor update on the inside. Hasn't broken anything here on my M1 macbook air, which is definitely not my "studio" computer (that's staying on Big Sur).
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 10-27-2021, 07:47 PM

I saw no noteworthy differences between Big Sur and Monterey either.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
True.

Future can only look brighter once one day PT software (and iLok) are native Apple Silicon, and that is a catalyst for plugin updates
I did a restore from my 2019 MacBook pro to my brand new 2021 M1 Max 16" and pro tools hangs on "Loading Plugins" no matter what. If I remove all plugins it loads fine maybe once but the second time it will hang on a PT plugin and it always hangs on a random 3rd party plugins. Tried everything. Clearing prefs, clean install, you name it. Other people are having the same issues. I wonder if anyone has any workarounds yet?
Old 10-28-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epmi View Post
On the bleeding edge here. Again. I have the MBP Pro Max with 32 Gb of RAM. It came with Monterey. Initially had an issue with older plugins. Once I weeded out any plugins dated 2018, it worked. (Everything was working fine in Big Sur, btw.)

I still have to run video in Logic via MTC. When will Avid catch up to the current chips in full native? As always, their development is a year or two behind. You would think video would be a no-brainer for a company that produces media composer.
I have not had a similar issue. Coming from a flawless (minus graphical issues lol) big sur built. My m1 Max hangs when loading plugins from avid, always a few 3rd parties. Never the same ones. Even if I move the plugins that are stalling it, it finds a new one

Hopefully there's a beta soon. I really don't want to have to return this mac in 14 days.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmaster23 View Post
I did a restore from my 2019 MacBook pro to my brand new 2021 M1 Max 16" and pro tools hangs on "Loading Plugins" no matter what. If I remove all plugins it loads fine maybe once but the second time it will hang on a PT plugin and it always hangs on a random 3rd party plugins. Tried everything. Clearing prefs, clean install, you name it. Other people are having the same issues. I wonder if anyone has any workarounds yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmaster23 View Post
I have not had a similar issue. Coming from a flawless (minus graphical issues lol) big sur built. My m1 Max hangs when loading plugins from avid, always a few 3rd parties. Never the same ones. Even if I move the plugins that are stalling it, it finds a new one

Hopefully there's a beta soon. I really don't want to have to return this mac in 14 days.
Your problem is obvious and the biggest mistake too many people make - you did NOT do a clean install but relied on an old installation probably by way of Migration Assassin.

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your problem is obvious and the biggest mistake too many people make - you did NOT do a clean install but relied on an old installation probably by way of Migration Assassin.
Yes, exactly.

First thing I did with this M1 was clean install and manual install of everything. And I can confirm I do not see these problems here.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Somethings can only be restored properly using migration assistant as a clean install doesn’t give you the option to restore user files so that’s kind of unfortunate and settings as well as iCloud related things
Old 10-28-2021, 08:30 AM

That is why you need to backup and restore "such things" manually. MA is not needed anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That is why you need to backup and restore "such things" manually. MA is not needed anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m unaware of any way to manually backup the iCloud integrated features that automatically reconnect themselves after an migration or else I would.