Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Question Which interface/preamp would you recommend?

Hey all. I am looking for opinions on an audio interface and pre amp to pair up with PT9 and my iMac. I used to do some "basement" recording on my Digi 001 and my G4 Mac back in the day just to give you a sense of the level I have worked with. I always felt my system before was never up to snuff and want to make sure I leave some room for growth.

I have been waiting almost about a year with hearing of the release of PT9 and was considering going with the console version of the Digi 003 if they were going to release it with PT9, but have since decided against it with talks of them discontinuing the 003.

I have a 2 channel Focusrite pre amp from back in the day which is decent enough for 2 channels, but need to look at the possibility of having to mic a drum kit in the future.

I like most don't have as much money as I would like to spend, but also don't want to cheap out and regret it later. Most of the recording I will be doing will probably be on the level of advanced amateur to semi professional, so planning for expansion later may be important. I have been doing some looking already, but want to hear some opinions before I really set myself down a path.

Any information may be helpful as in a way I would almost consider myself as starting over from scratch. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Which interface/preamp would you recommend?

If you need a control surface, the 003 is still a good value(and can be a bargain). If you don't need that function, The M-Audio Profire 2626 and Focusrite Saffire 56 are both worth a look. 8 mic preamps should take care of the average drum kit. The Saffire has 2 Liquid Pre's, which emulate several popular preamps(like Neve, API, Avalon, etc) which makes it worth the extra cash in my book I have and like my 003, but am still considering a move the the Saffire(or HD/Native if I can find the money).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Haha, I'm actually reading your post about the Liquid Saffire 56 right now. I was mostly looking at the 003 for the package of control surface, pre amps and PT software. Now that I know they aren't going to release it with PT9, it has me looking elsewhere.

For the price it seemed like a viable option at the time, but with the Digi pre amps and outdated software it makes me consider looking at other possibilities.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 AM

Now I'm just trying to find out if I would have any problems using the LS 56 and the 003 together since they both are audio interfaces as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicious View Post
Now I'm just trying to find out if I would have any problems using the LS 56 and the 003 together since they both are audio interfaces as well.
You will need to choose one as your interface. You SHOULD be able to run the LS56 software and route the 8 preamps to the lightpipe output. Once that is done, then the 003 can be the interface, with the LS56 connected via lightpipe to the 003 lightpipe input. In this setup, Pro Tools will see the 003 as the audio engine and the LS56 inputs will appear on the 8 lightpipe channels in the Pro Tools IO setup grid(as happens with any lightpipe interface connected to the 002 or 003 units).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM

Thanks again Albee. A few steps closer to getting things figured out.

Now I have to look into some other things like some new headphones and a few mics to fit into my new expanding budget.

Hoping I can get my system coming together soon as I have been keeping my iMac packed away for use of recording only. Things would be so much easier if money grew on trees!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 PM

So tempting, but the deal breaker for me is as I understand it, you would have to power down reboot, plug in the LS56 Firwire to change the pre choice on the liquid pres? Man I have gear fever, but if I understand it right, that is just a PITA. with that much time in between, trying to pick out what liquid pre you think sounds best, your reference from the last setting would be lost, I guess you could print a short take of each and decide. But that is a real buzz kill....

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You will need to choose one as your interface. You SHOULD be able to run the LS56 software and route the 8 preamps to the lightpipe output. Once that is done, then the 003 can be the interface, with the LS56 connected via lightpipe to the 003 lightpipe input. In this setup, Pro Tools will see the 003 as the audio engine and the LS56 inputs will appear on the 8 lightpipe channels in the Pro Tools IO setup grid(as happens with any lightpipe interface connected to the 002 or 003 units).

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
So tempting, but the deal breaker for me is as I understand it, you would have to power down reboot, plug in the LS56 Firwire to change the pre choice on the liquid pres? Man I have gear fever, but if I understand it right, that is just a PITA. with that much time in between, trying to pick out what liquid pre you think sounds best, your reference from the last setting would be lost, I guess you could print a short take of each and decide. But that is a real buzz kill....
That would be the case I guess if you feel the need to keep switching your choice of the liquid pres. I did notice they have a load/save to hardware function in the mix software, so that could speed things up if you had presets already made. I can't say for sure if you would have to power down and reset everything and what not, but I do agree it could be a pain.

Once I usually find a good sound for my preamp though, I tend to stick with it until I feel that I don't like the settings. I have my Focusrite Twintrak Pro as well so in the end it gives me the choice of the liquid pres, the other 6 Focusrite pres or my 2 pres on my Twintrak Pro. It may be more then enough options to have certain channels dedicated to certain situation/setups.
Focusrite TwinTrak Pro
ProjectMix I/O
PT 9.0.3
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 1.5GB/64MB Cache

Signature under Renovation, just like my studio!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM

I see your point, and in a lot of cases you go with your go to setup. I almost would be good with that. But it sure would be nice to mic a kick drum lets say, you have your mic set up, man just to scroll through the liquid pre's one after the other, sure would be nice. I really am just starting to use the 003 for more then moving faders and pans, It is really is on another level then anything even close to the price. It can do some advanced editing if you dig into it.

I just had a thought, it's way late and I am sure I will find a flaw if someone else does not point it out first. I have a quad q6600 that has not been turned on since my P67 I7-2600k build. I wonder if there is any way to use two CPUs and route out light pipe into the 003 and use the liquid pres in real time. I am sure someone would of already thought of this, but guess this will keep me up while I fight myself to sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicious View Post
That would be the case I guess if you feel the need to keep switching your choice of the liquid pres. I did notice they have a load/save to hardware function in the mix software, so that could speed things up if you had presets already made. I can't say for sure if you would have to power down and reset everything and what not, but I do agree it could be a pain.

Once I usually find a good sound for my preamp though, I tend to stick with it until I feel that I don't like the settings. I have my Focusrite Twintrak Pro as well so in the end it gives me the choice of the liquid pres, the other 6 Focusrite pres or my 2 pres on my Twintrak Pro. It may be more then enough options to have certain channels dedicated to certain situation/setups.

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
I see your point, and in a lot of cases you go with your go to setup. I almost would be good with that. But it sure would be nice to mic a kick drum lets say, you have your mic set up, man just to scroll through the liquid pre's one after the other, sure would be nice. I really am just starting to use the 003 for more then moving faders and pans, It is really is on another level then anything even close to the price. It can do some advanced editing if you dig into it.

I just had a thought, it's way late and I am sure I will find a flaw if someone else does not point it out first. I have a quad q6600 that has not been turned on since my P67 I7-2600k build. I wonder if there is any way to use two CPUs and route out light pipe into the 003 and use the liquid pres in real time. I am sure someone would of already thought of this, but guess this will keep me up while I fight myself to sleep...
Interesting thought, I see where you are going but I would guess that with having the firewire plugged into your q6600 that it would be in "interface" mode instead of "standalone" mode. I'm sure it would result in problems somehow if you are trying to make this work with 2 computers and 2 audio interfaces. I just have a feeling that it wouldn't play well together, but would definitely be interesting if someone had the gear to test it.
Focusrite TwinTrak Pro
ProjectMix I/O
PT 9.0.3
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 1.5GB/64MB Cache

Signature under Renovation, just like my studio!