How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-14-2021, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Dual Boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Same here. No issues/conflicts for me. Up-to-date Win 10, drivers, plug versions, optimizations, etc. I often need to run Chrome, Pro Tools & other apps at once. Works.
Thank you EGS, This was just the information I was looking for.

Appreciated

Skooter
Old 11-14-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
Hiya EGS,

I differ in my view of CCleaner. May I just offer some thoughts...

Years ago, I would absolutely agree with you. However time has introduced changes at Piriform, and personally I am a bit wary of CCleaner at the moment.

It's true that things like software are constantly changing and maybe my nervousness is unfounded, but I would suggest anyone to do a 'typical check for problems' before downloading a recent edition of any software.
By that, I mean do a Google search with just the name of the product and problem e.g. CCLEANER PROBLEM

Obviously, downloading from an unauthorised site can introduce unexpected Malware, but to me it seems that at the moment CCleaner may have a built in and unwanted PUP.

Finally, the product is great in concept, but is very powerful, and mostly I feel is like hitting the registry with a sledgehammer, so many users are unsure whether they should delete stuff that CCleaner is wanting to do. When occasionally helping friends I usually change the initial scans to be much milder in action,

Just my thoughts.
Good to be cautious! I ALWAYS have a recent boot drive image to fall back on - if needed. It's been years since I've had to restore my boot drive due to something getting buggared-up; as I recall, it was a mistake that I caused to happen. Having recent working boot drive images lets me sleep at night!

Every once in a while a CCleaner update tries to install Avast or similar. Do NOT let it install any other crapware - perhaps with the "custom" install options. The reg scan lets you review items before deleting, so you can always opt out. I only see reg clean entries after I install/uninstall something, so the items it selects for reg cleaning generally make sense to me. Having said all this, I have not had any problems with CCleaner in a long time.

EDIT: In CCleaner ---> Options --->Updates ---> UNcheck (& ocassionally check for CCleaner updates manually).
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 11-14-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added one more thought
Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 AM

No issues here with CCleaner and I run it every day. In addition to showing you what it's going to delete, it offers to save the Registry before you delete anything. If something does go wrong, just restore the file. And yes, I image my drives nightly for peace of mind sleeping.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-14-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
No issues here with CCleaner and I run it every day. In addition to showing you what it's going to delete, it offers to save the Registry before you delete anything. If something does go wrong, just restore the file. And yes, I image my drives nightly for peace of mind sleeping.
Curious, have you ever actually needed to restore the registry? I stopped saving those files a while ago and am wondering if I need to be more cautious

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2021, 04:32 PM

No, I've never had to restore the registry, but any chance to save in any program, I take it.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-15-2021, 05:42 AM

I usually use the "portable" version, standalone .exe that doesn't install.

Download the latest version when I want to use it and delete it when I'm done.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-15-2021, 05:42 AM

Creating Restore Points before any major updates/experiments can be very helpful if things go south. I've rolled back with restore points a few times over the years without issue. I'm also a fan of CCleaner. They quit offering additional app installs a while back (at least on updates). There was probably a bit of push-back from the user base. I also find Wise Registry Cleaner a useful utility. https://www.wisecleaner.com/products.html
Old 11-17-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdreskin View Post
Is there an advantage to setting up a dual boot of Windows 10 to run just Pro Tools and my music software?
Maybe at one point in time several years ago. But these days, there's not an inherent advantage of doing it this way. Modern computers and SSD's are fast enough to where you don't need to keep Pro Tools on its own partition. It won't make your computer run any faster unless you have a lot of programs and apps that run on startup for your "personal" partition but not on your "work" partition. Perhaps it's just a simpler way to organize your main drive by forcing two separate partitions on it.

However, consider the drawbacks -

your PC WILL take longer to start up because it has to prompt you which drive you'd like to boot into.

You WILL have to shut down and reboot your computer *any time* you have to open Pro Tools.

You WILL NOT have access to the other files or programs on the other partition. Depending on what you do, this could make Pro Tools impossible to use in conjunction with other programs for things like video and screen recording, podcasts, lectures, video calls, etc. unless you want to download the same program on both partitions and have it take up twice as much space.

That said, the golden rule is always to have your actual project files on a separate drive, and to record on a separate drive. That ensures not only that Pro Tools won't get bogged down between recording to the same drive it's on, but it also preserves your HDD / SSD lifespan because your scratch drive is not your main drive.

There are performance and professional advantages for having a separate computer entirely - one for work and one for video games and other fun stuff. Ultimately that depends on who you are though, doesn't it?

Are you a hobbyist? A professional?
If you're a hobbyist, keep it on one partition and one computer. The less hoops you have to go through, the less likely you are to kill your own inspiration.

If you're a professional, have a dedicated Pro Tools system. That way, when you boot up your Pro Tools system, your psychology switches to "work mode". When you switch back over to your regular desktop, you transition over to "play mode". The psychological aspect is a very real thing.