How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Help! Issues with pro tools LE 8 and macbook

Equipment:
PRO TOOLS LE 8
RACK 001 (missing cable to connect to macbook)
RACK 003
MACBOOK PRO, 1 USB PORT, OS X 10.6.8

Hi,

this is a bit long winded and I am technically pretty clueless, so any advice would be gratefully received...

15 years ago or so I bought pro tools LE 8 and a digiesign rack 001 and a rack 003. Used it to record tracks. Haven't used it in around 12 years but want to get it going again.

If memory serves me right I got the 003 first along with a G4, but then moved to a 001 and a macbook as it was easier to use. Would this make sense? Looking into it now the 003 seems the higher spec system, so it seems if I did that I downgraded?

Anyway, I went to connect my 001 to my macbook pro and i have lost the strange cable which connects the rack to mac. It seems to be a SCSI on one side, not sure about the other. Any idea what it is called/ how I can replace this cable? I have googled with NO luck :-(

Onto the software. I had PRO TOOLS LE 8 on an old macbook pro which I was using up until the macbook got damaged last year. By this point it was OS 10.6.8, but I now realise it wouldn't have been back when I was using pro tools as that now needs a compatibility upgrade (LE 8.05 for 10.6.8). I have bought a replacement macbook, on 10.6.8, as i thought it would be straightforward to start using pro tools straight away (before I realised the incompatibility issue). The new macbook won't allow me to open Pro tools LE 8 if I drag it over from the old macbook HD (I can access the files etc on the old mac HD, but not boot up from it). It says that it isn't compatible and may need to be reinstalled.

I have tried to upgrade it with the AVID update download, but the download says it can't find pro tools on my new macbook (despite me dragging it over from the old one).

I have tried to install it again with the original LE 8 disc, but that says NO SOFTWARE IS FOUND when I tried to do so (this disc has been in its case in a cupboard for 10/15 years, not lying around getting scuffed!). But I ran disc utility which says the disc is damaged, but doesn't give me the option to repair it.

What do I do? Do I need to get another copy of LE 8? Will I need to buy it and if so who sells it, only ebay? Would AVID give me a download since I've already bought it? I can't find it on their site (I was on the phone to their support line today for nearly 2 hours, listening to ALL OUR OPERATORS ARE BUSY etc etc, before I gave up on them). If I get a new copy will I then be able to install it onto my macbook 10.6.8, and THEN upgrade it to 8.05?

And then (if I manage that), what do you recommend I do- use the 001 or the 003? And if so is it just a matter of connecting the rack?

Thank you so much for any help, feeling a bit lost!

Kath
Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Help! Issues with pro tools LE 8 and macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath123 View Post
Equipment:
PRO TOOLS LE 8
RACK 001 (missing cable to connect to macbook)
RACK 003
MACBOOK PRO, 1 USB PORT, OS X 10.6.8

Hi,

this is a bit long winded and I am technically pretty clueless, so any advice would be gratefully received...

15 years ago or so I bought pro tools LE 8 and a digiesign rack 001 and a rack 003. Used it to record tracks. Haven't used it in around 12 years but want to get it going again.

If memory serves me right I got the 003 first along with a G4, but then moved to a 001 and a macbook as it was easier to use. Would this make sense? Looking into it now the 003 seems the higher spec system, so it seems if I did that I downgraded?

Anyway, I went to connect my 001 to my macbook pro and i have lost the strange cable which connects the rack to mac. It seems to be a SCSI on one side, not sure about the other. Any idea what it is called/ how I can replace this cable? I have googled with NO luck :-(

Onto the software. I had PRO TOOLS LE 8 on an old macbook pro which I was using up until the macbook got damaged last year. By this point it was OS 10.6.8, but I now realise it wouldn't have been back when I was using pro tools as that now needs a compatibility upgrade (LE 8.05 for 10.6.8). I have bought a replacement macbook, on 10.6.8, as i thought it would be straightforward to start using pro tools straight away (before I realised the incompatibility issue). The new macbook won't allow me to open Pro tools LE 8 if I drag it over from the old macbook HD (I can access the files etc on the old mac HD, but not boot up from it). It says that it isn't compatible and may need to be reinstalled.

I have tried to upgrade it with the AVID update download, but the download says it can't find pro tools on my new macbook (despite me dragging it over from the old one).

I have tried to install it again with the original LE 8 disc, but that says NO SOFTWARE IS FOUND when I tried to do so (this disc has been in its case in a cupboard for 10/15 years, not lying around getting scuffed!). But I ran disc utility which says the disc is damaged, but doesn't give me the option to repair it.

What do I do? Do I need to get another copy of LE 8? Will I need to buy it and if so who sells it, only ebay? Would AVID give me a download since I've already bought it? I can't find it on their site (I was on the phone to their support line today for nearly 2 hours, listening to ALL OUR OPERATORS ARE BUSY etc etc, before I gave up on them). If I get a new copy will I then be able to install it onto my macbook 10.6.8, and THEN upgrade it to 8.05?

And then (if I manage that), what do you recommend I do- use the 001 or the 003? And if so is it just a matter of connecting the rack?

Thank you so much for any help, feeling a bit lost!

Kath
Hi,

First question. Do you sstill have the serial number? without this you won't be able to install the software!

You might be better off looking for an old pro tools 9 version which will work with any interface! to do this you will need to use an ilok for the authorisation. (Ilok is a small USB stick that holds the auths for software. they cost from about £20 for version 1 ilok which will work for you ok)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Thanks Chris! I'll look into getting LE 9 etc.

I do have the original disc box and it has a sticker on it that says

PT 8.0 LE authorisation code
and a number

I also have a serial number on a product registration card, says

Digi 003 Rack
V8.03 Mac/XP
then a couple of long numbers-

is that probably for the rack? Its a digidesign card.

So I think i've got the pro tools code, but maybe not a serial number?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM

You have a few issues here to consider:
#1- the DIGI 001 will not work with ANY laptop or any version of Pro Tools newer than 6.4(which won't run on any modern OS). So that is a door stop.

#2-your MBP. Does it have a firewire port and/or a thunderbolt port? Without that(and the adapters to get from Thunderbolt to FW400), then the 003 is also not going to work.

#3-there's a link near the top of this(and every) DUC page called Additional Resources. Click that and navigate to the compatibility grid for Mac to see which versions of PT will work with your version of OSX(10.6.8?). I think you have the right stuff, but it may still be worth a look.

#4-the PT software needs to be installed fresh onto the laptop(system migration or dragging from the old computer is not going to work)

#5-the good news is; the 003 SHOULD still be a working product(despite being unsupported) as long as you pair it with the right combination of OS and PT software(assuming you can connect it-refer to #2 above).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 04:05 AM

Thanks very much for all the advice. When I was browsing ebay for LE 9 I actually came across a seller selling the download of LE 8 plus upgrade plus activation code for £40, which seemed much more reasonable than others i'd seen, and fast as it was a download rather than waiting for a disk.

I purchased it, followed the instructions and am now up and running on my macbook with the 003. So I am delighted, and excited to get started!

I will probably be back with more questions!! and once again thank you both for the advice