Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

That motherboard and CPU aren't compatible. Ones socket 2011 and one is 1151.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM

I know that now... I guess I should update the original post as to not be thought of as an idiot.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

No worries. And that looks a lot like what I would spec if I were to build a new pc. But honestly haven't kept the most up to date with what's available.

One thing to look at. I think that motherboard and CPU support quad channel ram. You might look into getting 4 sticks for the extra throughput.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:28 AM

Hello Guys! Just completed a new build and thought I would share.
I7 6850K hexcore
Gigabyte GA X99P-SLI
32g ballistix ram
600w EVGA ps
2 Intel ssd NVMe M.2, primary system and secondary audio
Samsung ssd samples/general storage
GEForce GTX 950 graphics card
Win 10 64
Pro Tools 12.7
Antelope Orion 32+ interface
Running with Avid Artist control & mix Ethernet controllers.
Performed recommended optimizations from Avid and Antelope audio.

Old system about 8+ years old, i7 960 on x58 12g ram PT 11.3
Last session on old system 75 tracks, approx. 110plugs and system cpu hovering around 65% total cpu usage. Would experience a rare hiccup or error. Compared to PT 11.0 which I would get frequent errors and/or system restarts. Some people have conspiracy theory pt11.3 had intentional bugs to get people to upgrade to 12 but I never experienced them. Really impressed with PT12.7 though, individual track input button, VCA's, many mores..
Same session on new system w/ PT 12.7, total system cpu usage hovering around 20% So far so good, no errors or hiccups. Integrated seamlessly with my previous sessions.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM

I7 6850K hexcore
Gigabyte GA X99P-SLI
32g ballistix ram
600w EVGA ps
Win 10 64
Pro Tools 12.7

Old system about 8+ years old, i7 960 on x58 12g ram PT 11.3
Last session on old system 75 tracks, approx. 110plugs and system cpu hovering around 65% total cpu usage. Would experience a rare hiccup or error. Compared to PT 11.0 which I would get frequent errors and/or system restarts. Some people have conspiracy theory pt11.3 had intentional bugs to get people to upgrade to 12 but I never experienced them. Really impressed with PT12.7 though, individual track input button, VCA's, many mores..
Same session on new system w/ PT 12.7, total system cpu usage hovering around 20% So far so good, no errors or hiccups. Integrated seamlessly with my previous sessions.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejenks View Post
I7 6850K hexcore
Gigabyte GA X99P-SLI
32g ballistix ram
600w EVGA ps
Win 10 64
Pro Tools 12.7
I bought the same MOBO due to your report (thank you) and am running the Broadwell-E 8 core processor, 32 gigs of Corsair DDR4 3200, a GTX 1070, Pro Tools 12.7, and an RME UFX and the system runs circles around my old MBP!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM

I'm thinking of going for an I7 PC build (probably high end broadwell E, Pro Tools 12 non-HD, windows 10 Pro) and I have a few concerns about going with i7 and was hoping someone might have the time to shed some light on a couple questions mainly regarding AVID qualifications and ECC RAM. Greatly appreciated if you can!

I work mostly in the box @96KHz 32 bit float with a 2048 buffer setting (I mostly write using the midi editor and a mouse and keyboard) and I make midi orchestral music with fairly large sessions sometimes (so a lot of sample based VI inserts), and I also make electronic music (lots of VI synth Inserts with lots of post synth effects inserts and lots of inserts on mixbus).

Just wanted to say all that because obviously everyone has different needs when selecting a computer. Here are my concerns about I7 PC builds:

Why does Avid only qualify HP desktops with xeon processors? Do they not consider I7 processors to be solid and reliable enough?

Anybody out there running Pro Tools 12 on Windows 10 with a 6950x or 6900K? If so, is it solid? Do you use a ton of virtual instrument inserts and effect inserts and write a lot of MIDI with no problems?

ECC RAM - I currently use ECC RAM so I have no idea what it is like to work on Pro Tools without it. What are the real world dangers of working with non ECC RAM? is there a chance for more error codes popping up or more Pro Tools crashes or Windows crashes? If loading a sample based instrument into the RAM, is there a greater chance for the instrument to be loaded into the RAM with an error in it, and if so, would it make the instrument unworkable or just have a sample with a slight blemish in it?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pique Arestiuvee; 02-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pique Arestiuvee View Post
Why does Avid only qualify HP desktops with xeon processors? Do they not consider I7 processors to be solid and reliable enough?
The Core i7 is definitely supported by Avid. What they show are the minimum system requirements, that being the Core i5.

Quote:
ECC RAM - I currently use ECC RAM so I have no idea what it is like to work on Pro Tools without it. What are the real world dangers of working with non ECC RAM?
There's been no benefits to using ECC RAM. I've built many systems with and without it over the past 15+ years. We've found it reduced plug-in count and performance many years back. Save yourself some money and the performance hit.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Anybody out there running Pro Tools 12 on Windows 10 with a 6950x or 6900K? If so, is it solid? Do you use a ton of virtual instrument inserts and effect inserts and write a lot of MIDI with no problems?
There are known hardware buffer issues with W10 and HDX/HD Native. PT 12 vanilla doesn't have this issue. If you're on HDX or HD Native, I'd stick with W7 or avoid those specific buffer settings.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Hi Shane - Thanks for the reply! Good to know you have experience with both ECC and non ECC and feel there is no need to worry about it and actually prefer non ECC!

Luckily, Pro Tools Vanilla fits my needs for my setup so i don't need to worry about that weird buffer setting thing they got going on with Pro Tools HD at the moment.

In terms of the qualified computer thing I was referring to, in that same link you sent

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

if you scroll down to Supported Computers they have a list of "qualified Windows computers" and all the desktops on the list are HPs with Xeon only. Way back in September on this thread someone posted an i7 build they were having problems with (may have been the HD problem you were talking about) and they mentioned in the post that when they called Avid, Avid said the I7 build was not on the qualified list so they couldn't help them. Here is the post:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=6470.

I guess that is really why I'm scared about I7. That if something doesn't work out right, Avid has the right to say they don't need to help me to fix it because they have only qualified HP workstations with Xeon chips in them. But it seems like an I7 build is exactly what I need price and performance wise.

Anyway, sounds like you build plenty of I7 builds with no problems at all so maybe I shouldn't worry so much haha. Thanks again!