Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-24-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Re: New Mirrored G4 hangs on Digi System Init!!!

Dual 867 G4 & 001 (pci 2K30A)

Wouldn't power up with 001 I/O connected.
Replaced logic board - won't power up.
Reset hard drive to ATA66 - won't power up.
Reset logic board (PMU reset) - won't power up.

This topic seems to have cooled down a bit but for some of us, a real solution is a top priority.
microDAT
Old 11-24-2002, 09:21 AM

Further information regarding my system behaviour if anyone at Digi is interested.

Dual 867 G4 & 001 (pci 2K30A)

Wouldn't power up with 001 I/O connected.
Replaced logic board - won't power up.
Reset hard drive to ATA66 - won't power up.
Reset logic board (PMU reset) - won't power up.

In the System Profilerevices & Volumes, the computer has never properly indentified the PCI card-

card type : not available
card name : pci11af,eeb0
card model : -1
card rom # : not available
revision : 3
vendor id : 1057

I'm just switching to Mac, so maybe this is normal???
The software runs fine and identifies a 001 - when the I/O isn't connected.
Please help.
microDAT
Old 12-18-2002, 08:38 AM

Hi guys,

i know it's been a while since anyone posted anything here but - what was the final out come?

If you look at my last post which was dated today in the legacy stuff forum, you might be doing me a really big favour by answering my question in there involving a G4, Project II revision 2 card and a DigiDesign 882/20 I/O. PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE Help!!!!

Matt
Old 12-18-2002, 10:39 AM

Hi
I posted some rants in late november regarding my computer not powering up with the 001 connected.
First step, I had my logic board replaced - still wouldn't power up.
After weeks of hasseling Applecare people, I finally got an OK for a power supply AND logic board replacement (this is my 2nd replacement logic board - reason given - your power supply is shorting out your logic board!). Now my Mac powers up and things kinda work - very shaky.
Now the CDR/DVD drive is shot and the computer will not boot with the CDR/DVD drive connected - did the new power supply short out the old CDR drive??!!??

Holy **** people! My MAC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
It's got nothing to do with Digi but my recent switch from PC has been one of the most painfull exhausting experiences of my life.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:10 PM

I think I posted this before, but I had my logic board replaced under warranty (same day) and it works great with my 001 card.
I don't know the number of the card, but it is about 2 years old. No problems at all, works perfectly.
867 dual (MDD)

Wish the version 6 is out (with all the plug-ins)- but I would settle for that UA powered card with the plugs. I'm considering swtitching fro Protools just to use it, but I don't know if that would work or not. I really like PT, so I don't to switch but...

mark
Old 12-18-2002, 04:09 PM

After my fifth logic board(!), four 60 mile round trips and two days waiting in for late couriers, I took my Mac to Apple near Heathrow, west London and dumped it and my Digi 001 for them to sort out the problem. Paul Wiffen and his boss Mike Munn were very helpful, although I was less than enamoured with the 'Executive Relations' representative whom I have unfortunately had to do most dealings with. Anyway, the machine was fixed and it turned out to be a problem with the Power Supply, not the Logic Board. There are TWO known issues with MDD G4s and 001s. They were fixing the wrong problem. If your mac won't even power up, you need a replacement power supply, not a logic board.

Sorting this out took the best part of two months - no joke when it's a tool of the trade, as it is for me. Apple will only compensate me with a discount on further purchases, but I don't want anything else from them right now - I bought the top of the range mac with loads of ram and a flat screen to do a specific job - what else could I possibly need, apart from financial compensation?! After pursuing this with Mark Rogers (Apple MD, UK & Eire) I've got nowhere - he won't offer compensation. The arrogance is astonishing.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:52 PM

After 2 replaced logic boards & 1 replaced power supply, my new G4 dual 867 still sucked ass.
When I tried to burn a CD with the new power supply connected, the CDR/DVD drive crashed and the computer would no longer boot up with it connected.
Then I started getting "internal processor test has detected a problem with one of your processors"
??!!??!!??!!??
Who the hell put this machine on the market?

Anyway, Santa's bringing me a brand new computer, direct from California...and this time, it better work.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:06 AM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post.

I got my 933 machine and it works like a champ!! It is so much faster then my previous G3 500 upgraded clone its rediculous, I mean not like 40% or something, but multiple times faster. I played with OS X but found this machine RAWKS running OS 9 doing just about everything. I have to dig up that thread on the "Dave C" test to see where my machine clocks in.

I still only have 256 megs of ram but let me add, I bought an IBM ultrastar 36 gig 15,000 RPM ultra scsi drive and an adaptec 29160n card and whoa nelly... that made a VERY noticable diference as well. Again, everything has worked flawlessly, digi 001, drive, software, no problems at all. I'm ordering another half gig or so of RAM and then I'll be a happy camper.

I am SOOOO glad I didnt get a DDR machine now. Even when PT6 comes out by the time I wait for it to bug free and all the plugs and stuff, that'll probably be another year anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by PacMan:
AdamF, I had the same dilemma as you.

I researched the subject to death, regarding the 933 vs DP 867.

Obviously, theres pros and cons with both.

Here's what i found out at least.

933 PROS
*Superdrive (dvd backup seems cool)
*Cheaper memory
*Better looking (yeah, a matter of opinion)
*Quieter (very important, to me at least)
*Faster in many cases than the dual, especially under OS 9 (even beat the dp 867 in the latest overall speed score @ macworld)
*Has a reputation as a good audio machine
*2 mb L3 cache (very nice)
* Better graphix card , 64mb compared to 32 mb on the dual

When it came down to it, the main advantage I see in the dp is for doing OS X stuff, but that whole noise/fan issue scares the hell out of me.

I was ready to buy a DP867 myself, but when i found a 933 online yesterday, I jumped on it, and ordered it right away, cause those suckers go quick.

I figure I'll be still using OS 9 for a while, so I'll just pick up a G5 or whatever in a half a years time, or whenever they might come out.

I'll know next week, if I made the right choice.

Good luck - Post back which one you decide on

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 12-20-2002, 09:53 AM

my situation is :
DP-867, OS 9.2.2,chip No. 3F48S
PT 5.1 can runs ok,but no way on 5.1.1,
just like everybody, it freeze when boot up at INIT,
I really need to use 32T beta for work, please please please hurry up,fix this problem ! it's too long time to correct INIT!!
Old 04-06-2003, 01:54 PM

I am suprised to see this discussion has finished as it is now April 2003 and here in the UK I am continuing to suffer the problems that everyone else seems to have sorted out months ago. Maybe the news travels very slowly to Apple UK and Ireland.

I am now on my third mother-board and second power supply and basically the problems remain the same. i.e., at various times:

1) Not powering up with digi 001 attached
2) Stalling at Digi Init
3) Not stalling at Digi Init but then reporting that digi design hardware could not be found.
4) Powering up , booting up, finding the hardware all fine, then on a restart reverting to 1, 2 or 3.

Problem 1 seems now to have gone away with the modifications up to now.

Problems 2 and 3 seem to depend on what version of Digi Init etc I use: v 5.1.1 has only ever loaded about twice. v. 5.01 seems most "sucessful" will boot up apparently OK but more often than not cannot find the hardware.

I have read all these pages very carefully now and cannot believe mine is the only DP867 behaving like this (as Applecare UK would have me believe) and that there must be a solution.

I believe they have fitted the wrong mother-board (even on the second attempt) as I have seen on the apple discussion site that the part number for the correct one is 820-1453-A. I have checked and mine is
820-1445-A. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct. My card version is 3F48S, if that makes a difference.

Could someone also confirm whether they have fitted the correct power-supply : it's an AC Bel API1PC36.
Also whether I should be able to use the latest version Digi Init 5.1.1 (mostly I am using Cubase VST 5 rather than Protools LE).

I am not even going to get started on how utterly crap I think Apple UK is and the lengths I have been to so far, even involving 'higher-ups" at their UK HQ, and just hope someone can help me with this even at this apparently late stage.