Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8 on Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat58 View Post
Just thought more memory may help get more plugins.

I haven't done a lot of recording yet on the new Mac, just thought I might
need more memory.
No more memory will not help you host more plugins, not unless you host them outside of Pro Tools. Arguably the main benefit of Pro Tools 11 is its 64 bit architecture than allows more memory for plugins.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM

Yes, I'll be upgrading to PT11 shortly. How do the mbox pro 3 compare to others?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat58 View Post
Yes, I'll be upgrading to PT11 shortly. How do the mbox pro 3 compare to others?
Questions like that can next to useless. We don't know exactly your requirements, # preamps/DI inputs, # line inputs/outputs etc., what digital interfaces you want? Do you want/need ADAT/SMUX? What hardware monitoring capability if any? Want Firewire? USB? Thunderbolt? etc. etc. etc.

The Mbox 3 Pro is fairly well regarded, had a rocky start with some product hardware issues, seems to have better preamps/analog and converters than previous mBoxes etc. but don't have a lto fo gain if you need that. The bundle with pro Tools 11 can be attractive. (But so can buying an Eleven Rack bundle and then buying a separate more capable interface).

There are more really nice higher end interfaces out there that cost more, e.g. a UAD Apollo, and a lot of lower-priced interfaces that sound great (but without Pro Tools bundle). Its almost meaningless to discuss here unless you have a good idea of your exact requirements and budget.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Got it.

I'm coming off PT8, digi002r and windows.

I'm a guitarist that may have a band come in to record once in a while, but mostly me using EZDrummer and micing up my amps.

More XLR mic pre's would be nice, but I can work around that.

I don't need to go with the high-end gear, just something to get my analog
into digital and into PT's.

If I need to record something that will be put out on CD, my band has access to a studio and 2" tape. My studio is for writing and song ideas.

F/W or USB, I have both on my Mac mini.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:57 AM

I did have Pro Tools (PT) LE 8.0.5 kind of running with Snow Leopard on a 2010ish Mac Book Pro (2.4ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 4gb ram) but it had install issues that left it under-equipped in the plugin department.

I upgraded to Mountain Lion; and after many attempted re-installs of PT 8 I just couldn't get it all working properly. But, I did eventually get my Mbox 2 Factory up and running with recent Avid updates; however it was something of a hassle. After the install of the drivers (links below) you have to delete the two Digidesign folders in "/Library/Startupitems", as they cause pop-up warnings when you boot up, and you also have to plug the Mbox into a USB port after booting. Now I do have the Mbox working with Reaper and Reason -- so I don't have to fork out for new hardware to go with this Mac. I have PT 8 installed on two Window machines so it's no real loss to me here.

Just to explained what happened: the installer for PT 8.0 will not work off the installation disk on this Mac. I downloaded and used the 8.03 updater in combination with the install disk and got it to install but the Creative Collection with the A.I.R plugins and virtual instruments will not install off the disk -- it always fails -- and this was the case with Snow Leopard too! I spent two days using recovery software to extract the Creative Collection installer off the disk as a separate file -- it seems to be damaged on the Mac layer of the DVD but the recovery software managed to pull it off. Even with the recovered installer I just can't get all of those plugins installed without it crashing -- I also had to get things like Sansamp, Auto Panning and the BF76 compressor from the Avid website as individual downloads. Anyway, after updating to 8.0.5 the PT system is just glitchy -- especially with all the midi stuff. My favorite Synth Tyrell Nexus 6 would not respond properly. It's a VST plugin that I run through the FXPansion 2.1 VST-RTAS adapater (it runs perfectly on Reaper). Reason through Rewire keeps crashing because of some unknown problem with file permissions.

I might have one more go with Pro Tools now that I have got the Mbox functional with the latest driver but I think that when they left Pro Tools 8 behind the Mac systems must have had some different stuff under the hood and Avid would probably just prefer people buy the newer version of PT rather than work on compatibility issue between newer OS systems and older versions of their software. I really can't afford it -- it cost me a heap to get the S/H copy of LE 8 with the Mbox 2 -- thankfully it runs well on Windows 7 -- despite the odd crash. I will take the opportunity to train myself up on Reaper with this Mac I think.

Here's the link to the drivers. I used the 10.3.3 Mac driver. I'm running OS X 10.8.5. You need to delete the files as described above:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ers&popup=true
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM

1.Protools 8.0.5
2.Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
3.Mbox 2 Pro
4.Macbook pro (MacBookPro6,2)

Working fine without any flaw....
all you need are these files...

1. Protools 8 LE
2. Protools 8.0.5 Update (Pro_Tools_LE_805_Updater_70871)
3. Mbox 2 Pro Drivers (Mbox_2_Pro_Driver_10_3_3_Installer_78630)
4. Pace License (LicenseSupportInstallerMac_v2.3.1_r24648)

No Fresh Install, just a clean install.
-----------------
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 AM

I have Pro Tools LE 7.4 with an mBox 2 Preference Pane. I want to get a newer used computer that will give me enough memory/RAM to run say 46 tracks with four individual stereo effects for say reverb and what not, and as many eq's and limiters per track as I want. About how much memory would get me through without getting CPU overload errors? 4? 16? 32? more?

Thanks.

Dave R
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Pro Tools LE 8 on Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrwooley View Post
I have Pro Tools LE 7.4 with an mBox 2 Preference Pane. I want to get a newer used computer that will give me enough memory/RAM to run say 46 tracks with four individual stereo effects for say reverb and what not, and as many eq's and limiters per track as I want. About how much memory would get me through without getting CPU overload errors? 4? 16? 32? more?

Thanks.

Dave R

How is this question relevant to this old thread? You should start your own new thread for this question. You are after a used Mac right? Not a PC? And does it need to be 7.4 LE or can you upgrade? Not upgrading is likely a waste of money. What is your budget? Do not reply here, start a new thread.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Hi,
I see this is an old post, but I need to find out if upgrading to Mountain Lion works for Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE. I am bound by this music software , but want to upgrade my OS to. My Mac is 2.5 ghz Core I5 with 10.7.5.

Thanks in advance,
Frank