Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Please Tell me that I am Kidding....

A cool thing in Logic, apart from 64 stereo busses, is that you don't need to waste busses for sidechaining. The audio channels are directly routable to sidechains...they just show right up in the sidechain input menu.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larold View Post
This thread is really an eye opener. Unbelievable how some people work.
What's unbelievable about it? how do you usually work?

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
My technique probably stinks.. but here you go.. Drums mixed down to a stereo drums use 6 (mix, fx, comp). Acc Gtr uses 4 (fx and mix) EGtr uses 4-6 more (fx, mix, maybe comp), Bass may see 1-2 (fx and mix), perc may need 4 (mix and fx) Lead Vox gets 5 (fx, rev, ddl), BgV get 2 (fx and mix combined) and a master vox gets 2 more..

That's 31. If I add anything else, keys, fiddle, banjo, etc... I'm over the limit. Also, if I start bouncing things around, I have to 'borrow' from somewhere else to do that. I'm not big on rearranging things. It's ok to do if you have to but in this day and age, why do we have to? (Not a slam here, I've given up on that).. but why is PT the only DAW that limits to 32 bus tracks?

Could it be done with less? yes. but again I'll ask.. in this day and age, why?

EDIT: Akkkkkkkkk I forgot to add two more for a master recording mix bus.. that puts me over right there.
Sounds waaaaaay too complicated. Looks to me like it would be a heckuva lot more efficient to use inserts for your fx than busses. If, as you say, you have separate efx for guitar, vox, drums, etc..
What are you mixing, Queen's "Night At The Opera'?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Speak for urself OD

I don't touch the HD3 rig; I have the CPTK, plenty outboard, BLA Sig mod, so the HD3 rig for me is the TIMMIE of the 2 rigs (u'd have to watch SOUTHPARK to know who TIMMIE is)
Big + 1 to this.

I do alot of pre mixing on my mac pro 2.8/8 / 003 / and CPTK

I actually have to watch how I use system resources if I want to finish off the mix on my mac pro quad HD 2.

Simply because I use RTAS plugins on Aux channels... I can wave goodbye to alot of voices.

As for Digitech's question RE: use of busses... Using mellowmuse ATA to get round lack of ADC is a big one for me. It would be pretty unusable if I was restricted to 32.
It's also relatively easy to go over 32 under normal circumstances with a bit of sub grouping, stereo FX, sub master trim and bounce to track.
The first time a CPTK session didnt open on the HD rig I honestly thought it was broken... until I did a bit of googling. It's particularly frustrating considering the widely held belief that with HD you get the best of both worlds...DSP and Native power. In my experience this isn't the case... A screamingly fast mac won't help you with voice allocation using RTAs plugins, DSP won't help with record enabled RTAS using tracks.... probably not the best examples.. but I'm coming round to the idea that HD and LE are both crippled. LE intentionally, HD from its inability to play well with RTAS.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
Sounds waaaaaay too complicated. Looks to me like it would be a heckuva lot more efficient to use inserts for your fx than busses. If, as you say, you have separate efx for guitar, vox, drums, etc..
What are you mixing, Queen's "Night At The Opera'?
What if you want a different reverb on Vox than you do drums? What if you want to change the delay on the lead vox depending on how your song is going, but want it to remain steady for BGV? Complicated? perhaps.. but I get the sound that I want. Most folks wouldn't even notice.. but when I'm writing or mixing I notice.. and in the end I want my work to be the best that it can be.

It's not for everyone.. some folks could do just fine with 16 channels and one reverb. Good on 'em... I'm not one of those people. I like having more control and more options. Besides.. I paid for it.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 AM

I'd have to agree...

It sounds WAYYYY too complicated.

Have tried using no effects ?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
I'd have to agree...

It sounds WAYYYY too complicated.

I tried using no muso's once... that worked a treat! I was done in a tenth of the time.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post

Maybe I'll send u 1 of my live sessions & have u try mixing it with no effects & it sound great

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM

before we go any further....

It was a joke.

I don't think anybody has a right to judge another's work-flow. if it works for you, and it gets results... that's all that matters.

That's what I was refering to.

all cool,

Al
Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This is something that I've been curious about - with an app that has a max of 64 tracks, how are you using up 32 busses?

The only time I've seen people doing it they've had really, really bad engineering technique.

I know you're good, so I'm curious what you're doing to use up all those busses - maybe I could learn something?
OK,

4 Stereo Reverbs, 4 Mono>Stereo Reverbs = 12 Busses
2x Chorus, Flanger, Phase = 6 Busses
48 Mono Tracks grouped into 8 stems = 16 Busses
With this setup I am already 2 over the limit.

BUt I still need - at least

8 busses for side chain compression
4 busses for parallel compression
4 busses for advanced look-ahead side chain processing.
etc etc etc...

A bus to me is like a salt when cooking. I never know how much I need and use it all over the place. 1 in 100 is too much by I VERY rarely over-salt my food......

I strongly doubt that you guys at digi aren't seeing this. Why on earth would then offer 128 busses with the CPTK??????

I NEED those busses but I ALREADY own ALL the plugs in that weird bundle.... Could you please just offer a $100 BUS UPGRADE for MPTK2 user so that they can
work professionally