Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Black Lion Mod ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyE View Post
LOVE IT!

they were quick, easy, and patient with all my anal questions.

i got the full meal deal and could never live without it!

complaints are very VERY rare with this company. i did tons of research.
Yes I have been researching a fair bit and so far the overwhelming consensus appears quite positive 1 neg on the GS site with literally several hundred positive reviews and the one rather vague, neg here....
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 AM

Hey thanks for all the comments so please keep them coming pos or neg. Kev
Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 AM

FYI an external clock is needed ONLY when you are using more than one piece of digital audio gear interconnected with each other. If the only thing in your studio is a 003, upgrading its clock is irrelevant and a waste of money.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
FYI an external clock is needed ONLY when you are using more than one piece of digital audio gear interconnected with each other. If the only thing in your studio is a 003, upgrading its clock is irrelevant and a waste of money.
Some what confusing . are you saying upgrading to an external clock only, is a waste, or modding the internal clock, is a waste ????
Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM

I mean that modding an internal clock of a unit is a waste when it is the only digital unit in your studio. Its not talking to anything else digitally so whats the point.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM

I don't work for Digi, I was just given "red cards" the last time I gave my opinion on Black Lying Audio. They have a rule against criticism here.

And much of the criticism of that company is censored elsewhere too. They do purchase advertisements and I am unaware of what other measures they may be taking to influence forum moderators.

Therefore trying to take a census of opinion of that company from online postings is unlikely to be accurate. I suspect some of the postings supporting them may be shills. They definitely attempt to silence any dissent, as if BLA is some form of cult.

Rest assured I know as much about pro audio gear as likely anyone who posts regularly on this board and BLA is my #1 least favorite company in all of pro audio.

I have never bought or owned any of their products or tested them myself. Which you would think discredits my opinion completely. But it doesn't.

I would never even consider taking my studio offline to have an interface modded without being able to get a modded unit in first to carefully A/B it with the stock version. Interface mods have no resale value whatsoever, so I would also max out on outboard first as well. The interface will be obsolete quickly...anything that touches a computer directly is toast. There is no ability to return a mod for a refund nor does BLA allow demo units to be sent out.

As for the mods themselves they apparently crudely solder cheap opamps across the traces of SMT boards, and possibly replace a clock crystal or a power supply. There is no way for them to rearchitect the interfaces at those prices...they can't alter the PLL, they can basically just make the thing sound brighter or whatever. So can you with the free Digi III EQ.

They don't publish specs that are comparable to any normal industry standard spec, nor AudioPrecision charts of what effect, if any, their mods achieve. None to my knowledge have ever been published, anywhere. The mods do not get reviewed by any reputable publications, and the company for some reason refuses to show its face at any industry gathering or convention.

One of the online threads that was censored went into some technical detail about how crude their work is. Unfortunately I can't link to it anymore. These guys apparently have some influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
I wouldn't even say that...you can sync a whole lot of stuff just off a converter that offers a decent word clock source and T-connectors. I have a studio with about 10 digital chassis and no dedicated clocking unit and I'm not missing anything. External sync may or may not sound different for a converter, based on its jitter suppression technology (the JetPLL in the M-Audio 2626 will negate any external clock effect) but external sync will never be more accurate.

I think it's good people read online postings before buying. But I wouldn't count them like votes.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
I have never bought or owned any of their products or tested them myself...they apparently crudely solder cheap...and possibly replace...just make the thing sound brighter or whatever...
What then ARE your harsh opinions based on?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
What then ARE your harsh opinions based on?
Would someone have to be a victim of fraud to report fraud?

If it quacks like a duck...
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Would someone have to be a victim of fraud to report fraud?

If it quacks like a duck...
Not sure I'm getting this fraud thing. Care to explain? All I can say is, I'm a satisfied BLA customer !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Not sure I'm getting this fraud thing. Care to explain? All I can say is, I'm a satisfied BLA customer !!!
Uh oh... Now you've done it. You're clearly not capable of making that decision for yourself, according to pee-tree, and now you will have to endure his ever-lasting scorn...