Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM

Default increasing RAM?

hey guys,

quick question, i got a G5 dual processor 2GHz computer with 512MB RAM, i've been running session lately that have aout 10-15 tracks, most with plugins and using GuitarRig in a few of the tracks as well, ....i've been getting that -6086 error about the Hardware Buffer when i try to play the tracks sometimes....i heard from someone that if i increase the RAM, that will give the plugins more to work with and it should run smoother....is this true, and if so, how much more RAM should i add to my 512MB i already have....thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: increasing RAM?

2 thing you should do. Definitely up your RAM. I have the same computer with 3 gigs of RAM and it helps. Second, is you should print your Guitar Rig tracks once you are set on a sound. I know even with my setup I start to get sluggish performance with 2 instances of Guitar Rig. Get a sound that is pretty close and print it. You can always throw on an EQ or compressor once you get into the mix and those will eat up far less CPU.

M
Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 PM

thanks for responding mrbobb.....

i'm not sure what you mean by 'printing' it though, can you explain that...do you mean to use the Audiosuite version rather than the RTAS version?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:04 AM

ya, or use the RTAS, get it the way you like it, then "copy" settings. Now paste settings into an audiosuite version and remove the RTAS insert.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 AM

I'd recommend when "printing" to get the sound you want. Then make new audio tracks to match your source ie stereo or mono. Rec enable them. Make the output of the source tracks a bus eg 1-2 etc. Then make the inputs of the new rec enabled tracks to match. Then physically record them to the new tracks. Then you can make the tracks with the plugins inactive and if you need to change a sound later they will be there for you. Also the Audiosuite versions are not at all the same quality and can be pretty poor at times. cheers
Old 10-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Also the Audiosuite versions are not at all the same quality and can be pretty poor at times. cheers
holy, i didn't know that. i should do some listening tests. can anyone else back this up?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Yeah i'm not so sure about the accuracy of that statement.
An Audiosuite plugin does the exact same processing just not in real time, should give you the same result as printing (although i do prefer printing the track out myself as i can hear it played in context with the rest of the session)
Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
ya, or use the RTAS, get it the way you like it, then "copy" settings. Now paste settings into an audiosuite version and remove the RTAS insert.
I agree with the above post regarding this. Some sound similar, except they require changing the settings to get the same sounds.

Some are totally different products. This is pretty well known. I hardly use Audiosuite anymore because of this. It's too 'trial and error' to get the setting right, since you have to 'print' then listen to the mix, then go back and adjust, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I have a 2nd generation dual 2 Gig G5, and I'm running 6 Gigs of RAM. But I think I'm gonna have to up it to 8 Gigs.