Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: What the ....????

It really doesn't seem (from what you've said) that this is the 002's fault. Granted things like this are more than irritating, I've done the power harness thing at least twice, so I feel your pain. Just take a deep breath, and give Digi a call. They will be more than helpful to you.

See, the nice thing about Digi is their customer service. They have a number you can call and talk to **gasp** a real, live person. So, yeah, I'm sure that they'll be much more helpful. Good luck, let us know what happens!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I do appologize for my Shouting...
Wow! Hadn't expected that.

It's big of you. You probably can see I've become rather opinionated about this place and I may have taken it out on you. I have my reasons. Without getting too involved in an explanantion, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of a properly moderated and/or organized forum.

Regards.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Hi guys, back after a long day at work, gotta love those television show hours. Thanks for the support Severe, and no harm no foul Star Nine.

I tried to call tech support today and got the message "due to the unusually high volume of calls.....please call back at another time"..gotta love that.

After all that last night, multiple shut downs and restarts, trying different connections etc, going through the Digi Troubleshooting guide etc with no joy I finally shut down for the night real late to get some sleep as I had a 5am call. As I walked away I remembered I had not taken down the Tech Support number from the Digi site, so I could call in the am. So I fired up the computer again, got the number and thought, why don't I try launch PT just one more time, and wouldn't you know it.....bam the session opened no problem!

So now I don't know what to think.

Anyway, I will keep trying until I reach them.

I am sure anyone who gets bitten by inspiration, starts working up a tune and then goes to the DAW to get the idea down only to find it won't work, can feel my frustration.

Sorry if I went off a bit.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:56 PM

It doesn't sound the normal power harness symptoms since you say the 002r is turning on and lighting up fine, just that you're getting the not connected mesesage from your computer. I would check your computer's configuration first, it sounds like the 002 is actually funcitoning fine.

I would try a different FW port on your computer and/or disconnect any other firewire devices you're using. If this is one of the G4 Mirror Door models with Firewire 800 ports, be aware that there are firewire issues with these machines and Digi recommends using a PCI firewire card if you're using multiple firewire devices. Also, someone recently solved a firewire issue by resetting open firmware, so you might give that a shot (you'll have to check the Apple site for what keys to hold down to do that, I don't remember at the moment).
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Thanks Slim. Actually no FW800 on this MDD. Also only the 002R is connected, the other port is open. No iSight, my cable for the camcorder has not been connected for quite some months.

I am starting to think this burp might be computer related now ( ahem...embarrased ) but I will see.

I got on the line to Tech Support this afternoon around 4:35pm and went through the menu and was holding and next thing my cell phone started beeping at me indicating a low batt. I grabbed my landline and got through to the menu but got the High Call Volume message-please call back so I continued to hold on the cell but at 4:55pm my phone went dead. I just laughed this time, I am starting to see humor in this issue.

Thanks for all your help y'all.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Avid

Good to hear it's working correctly again.

By chance, have you ever connected or disconnected the 002 while the computer or the 002 are turned on?

If so, you're taking a large risk of blowing out a firewire port. Always turn off both the computer and the 002 before connecting/disconnecting.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Always turn off both the computer and the 002 before connecting/disconnecting.
Does the PowerBook's Sleep Mode qualify as "turned off" as well in this situation?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
By chance, have you ever connected or disconnected the 002 while the computer or the 002 are turned on?
No I shut everything down each time. I have seen that info on your site somewhere.

Other than the ports work or they do not work, is there anyway to test the FW ports to see if they are functioning correctly? Is there any sort of benchmark test to see if data is flowing at the right rate?Just curious. I used to have an app that could test the read and write speed of harddrives. ATTO was it?