Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Pro Tools does not follow MIDI (MIDNAM) patch names & banks

Hello all,

I just got off the line with Digidesign tech support and I am about ready to rip my hair out. I think I might have found a bug, but they're telling me not to hold my breath on getting it fixed. Thanks Digidesign.

I'm using a Roland Fantom (FA-76) as my MIDI controller and I've customized a MIDNAM file to reflect the expansion cards I've got in this keyboard.

When I open the patch selection dialog in PT and select patches, all is fine. I can select every single bank from the dropdown (all 12 or so of them) and every single patch, and my keyboard follows along like the champ that it is.

The problem occurs when I change patches on the keyboard itself. If I am scrolling through the patches on the keyboard, PT follows along -- UP TO A POINT. There are times when the bank changes on the keyboard, and then Pro Tools freaks out and the window falls out of sync. At this point, the sync loss is permanent (i.e. no further patch changes sync, including those that worked prior from other banks), at least until I close and re-open the dialog (or occasionally re-select the correct bank manually).

I have tried various MIDNAM files to no avail. The problem persists.

I'm not sure, but I **think** that as long as I remain within banks that use the same MSB (controller 0) value, everything is cool. My guess is that when switching to another bank that uses a different MSB from the keyboard, that's when things go awry. I can't prove this yet, but it's a hunch.

FYI, this did not happen in PT LE 6.x as far as I know. I've only seen it since upgrading to version 7.x. Also, to test if my controller is sending weird data, I recorded a series of patch changes onto a MIDI track. Wouldn't you know it? They are all in the MIDI event list as they should be (ruling out the controller). Again, my guess is there's a bug in that particular patch selection window.

Can any of you PLEASE reproduce this problem with your systems and help me light a fire under Digidesign's butt to fix this? I have a film score to write very soon and I'd REALLY like this to be working as it should!

Thanks, and happy recording.

- Justin
Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not follow MIDI (MIDNAM) patch names & banks

Yep, it's a problem. Tested on a Roland RS-9. Switching between Banks is the culprit.

The obvious workaround is to re-assign the Patch to a different Channel if available or print the track.

Digi's response is typical, there have been other amendments concerning external sound modules we have asked for and the response we got was not to hold our breaths.

Good luck!

filosofem
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not follow MIDI (MIDNAM) patch names & ba

Actually, the aggravation comes when I am BROWSING for patches on the keyboard. The problem isn't during playback at all.

- Justin
Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not follow MIDI (MIDNAM) patch names & banks

We seem to be having similar Midi challenges in Pro Tools. I just got the 003 control surface but i am having trouble with patchnames for my Fantom 8X. The model number of the 8X is not listed under the manufacturer, ROLAND. I am a great fun of midi for my projects and this is really putting things on HOLD. Help if you have any ideas.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools does not follow MIDI (MIDNAM) patch names & ba

Call Roland tech support. They, unlike some other companies, are actually very helpful.

http://www.rolandus.com/support/?ssection=s_contact

They probably have a .MIDNAM file already for you. I know they have them for the newer gear. Unfortunately in my case, they didn't have one for the 1st generation Fantom, so I had to custom make the file using CherryPicker.

By the way, if you don't already have CherryPicker, GET IT!

http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/

Cheers - Justin