Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Outboard Compressor Recomendations

I'm looking for advice on compressors to use in the inserts of my preamp. I will just be using these for tracking, not for mixing, I have McDSP Compressor bank for that. Since I have recently started tracking live drums I realized I could benefit from slightly compressing the overheads and the kick and snare for better dynamic range before the signal hits Pro Tools. Are there any good compressors for this job that are under say $300?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Outboard Compressor Recomendations

Maybe you can find a JoeMeek C2. They aren't made any more, but you might find a used one for sale. They are really musical, especially on OH and vox and shouldn't exceed your price range.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:15 PM

FMR RNC - $175

Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
FMR RNC - $175
go get that thing!

regs
Old 05-21-2004, 04:04 PM

I currently own two extremely versatile (key word) compressors that land squarely in the "you can't go wrong with these" category:

1) Empirical Labs Distressor

2) FMR RNC

I don't have experience with the Cranesong Trakker, but I've heard that it's the compressor to beat in that price range and feature-set (as is most Crane Song gear - wish I could afford it).

So, being that the RNC is the only model under $300, you'd be best off starting there. Once you want a "You'll have to pry this from my cold dead fingers" compressor, ante up for the Distressor. There's almost nothing between those two units that either 1) justifies spending more than the RNC or 2) justifies the savings of not buying a Distressor (i.e. the sting of sacrificing quality lasts long after the sweetness of lower cost wears off).

I just picked up a Toft AFC-2, so we'll see how those FET compressors stack up.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Chris Coleman hit it right on. I have 2 FMR RNCs. They are wonderfully transparent, ridiculously so for the money. I use SuperNice mode, which is basically acting as three compressors in series to minimize artifacts, for vocals and bass, and I sometimes have to look over at the "bypass" button to make sure that the compressor's engaged due to its transparency. Other than that, it's the Distressor, also one of the better bargains in compressors.

Ustad Khan Ali
Old 05-21-2004, 06:32 PM

I also own an rnc...However....For drums, they really bore me in that they're so transparent...If you're not looking to spend a ton of money, check out the (black) Art Pro VLA compressor/limiters...I know it's art, but they are really nice on kick/snare/drums...They add color to the sound and I've really grown to love this unit...Keep in mind that I'm also working w/ Amek Neve 9098 compressor also and I'm still using the ART a ton....

Anyhow
Old 05-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Chris Coleman hit it right on. I have 2 FMR RNCs. They are wonderfully transparent, ridiculously so for the money. I use SuperNice mode, which is basically acting as three compressors in series to minimize artifacts, for vocals and bass, and I sometimes have to look over at the "bypass" button to make sure that the compressor's engaged due to its transparency. Other than that, it's the Distressor, also one of the better bargains in compressors.

Ustad Khan Ali
I have two as well...RNC's are very nice!

p.s. I have a Funklogic rack mount that puts two RNC's in a single U rack- very nice!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:42 PM

has anybody here tried a HHB (TLaudio) FatMan or I think its also called the Radius 3? I talked to a friend yesterday who has 5 of them in his studio and just loves them. He is willing to let one go and I think he's going to let me try it out first but still working on it.

The Distressor looks SWEET but at its price I need to wait on it, so must go cheaper now hence the $300 per channel price limit i've set for myself. I'd really like to try out the RNC too and see how it sounds.

Remember I am just needing something to track with since I can add any color and effects neede in the mix with my McDsp stuff so I probably want something pretty transparent.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:02 PM

I ´ve got a TLA Fatman (HBB/R3 in the US). This is lot of charakter for the bug, but due too the tube noise not the most silent device, but admit it what is cooler than some hot tube noise ;-)

two thumbs up by me!!! I LOVE IT.

It works great on drums and lame and lifeless VA synths! Haven´t tried it on clean and soft Vocals and Stringslike things though.

regs